What's new

Pre-Order Love With The Proper Stranger (1963) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
169028_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
It is such a beautiful film...so effective in it's cynicism and sentimentality...one that really sneaked up on me with unexpected emotion...the leads are great and believable, and such a memorable supporting cast too...Edie Adams and Tom Bosley, wow...I love KL's reversible cover art for this release; striking.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I would say yes, Ronald. Same director, Robert Mulligan, who gave us Summer of '42 (he does the voice over narration on that great film also) and To Kill a Mockingbird...and of course for Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen...and as Bruce already mentioned the Elmer Bernstein music.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Wow...okay...I am intrigued. Worth a blind purchase?

I love this film but I hesitate to recommend it unconditionally because of one strange aspect of the film. The first three quarters are romantic drama but the last quarter is romantic comedy. Despite my enthusiasm for Love With The Proper Stranger, for me the change of tone near the end slightly weakens the film. It might for you too.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
This is a favorite film of mine which I've suggested to Olive, Kino and Twilight Time, and I'm glad it's being released . I have the film on VHS and a lousy DVD from Spain which has clearly been transferred from a video tape. I pre - ordered from Amazon quite a while ago but I haven't received my copy yet . Needless to say I'm looking forward to enjoying the film again in it's best possible presentation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is a favorite film of mine which I've suggested to Olive, Kino and Twilight Time, and I'm glad it's being released . I have the film on VHS and a lousy DVD from Spain which has clearly been transferred from a video tape. I pre - ordered from Amazon quite a while ago but I haven't received my copy yet . Needless to say I'm looking forward to enjoying the film again in it's best possible presentation.
You're going to be very happy!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I watched the Blu-ray of Love With the Proper Stranger. The first time I've viewed this film in its OAR. A top notch release PQ-wise. I think most people will be very happy with this Blu-ray. I actually watched it twice today as I listened to the audio commentary the second time. As much as I love this film, I didn't think McQueen was totally effective in his role. It's probably not his fault, but I never bought him as an Italian-American. I always thought Paul Newman, who doesn't really look Italian either, would have been a better choice for this role. What's funny is that according to the audio commentary, this role was meant for Newman before McQueen was cast in it. Kind of ironic, considering the rivalry between Newman and McQueen. Anyhow, Wood was excellent in this film, though, I have to say, she was just too good looking for her role. Again, she nailed the acting portion of this role and really deserved her AA nomination. The film is beautifully shot on location in NYC and the filmmakers attached to this film was their follow-up to their great To Kill a Mockingbird, released the year prior in 1962. Robert Mulligan was a really good director. Some of you will get a kick out of seeing Richie Cunningham's dad in his film debut. Also, you get a younger Richard Castellano as an extra during the first film sequence between Wood and McQueen. Also, Richard Mulligan of Soap fame makes an appearance in this film directed by his older brother, Robert.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Today, I watched the Blu-ray of Love With the Proper Stranger. The first time I've viewed this film in its OAR. A top notch release PQ-wise. I think most people will be very happy with this Blu-ray. I actually watched it twice today as I listened to the audio commentary the second time. As much as I love this film, I didn't think McQueen was totally effective in his role. It's probably not his fault, but I never bought him as an Italian-American. I always thought Paul Newman, who doesn't really look Italian either, would have been a better choice for this role. What's funny is that according to the audio commentary, this role was meant for Newman before McQueen was cast in it. Kind of ironic, considering the rivalry between Newman and McQueen. Anyhow, Wood was excellent in this film, though, I have to say, she was just too good looking for her role. Again, she nailed the acting portion of this role and really deserved her AA nomination. The film is beautifully shot on location in NYC and the filmmakers attached to this film was their follow-up to their great To Kill a Mockingbird, released the year prior in 1962. Robert Mulligan was a really good director. Some of you will get a kick out of seeing Richie Cunningham's dad in his film debut. Also, you get a younger Richard Castellano as an extra during the first film sequence between Wood and McQueen. Also, Richard Mulligan of Soap fame makes an appearance in this film directed by his older brother, Robert.

And don't forget Elmer Bernstein's lovely underscore. I have the soundtrack CD which alas doesn't include the Jack Jones title song.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
And don't forget Elmer Bernstein's lovely underscore. I have the soundtrack CD which alas doesn't include the Jack Jones title song.

Alas, it could not include it because it is owned by a different company and it was too convoluted to license it. That was the first score I got out of Paramount - the first one I asked for and one of my happiest releases.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks