What's new

HBO Max Love to Love You, Donna Summer (2023)

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Title: Love to Love You, Donna Summer

Genre: Documentary, Music

Director: Brooklyn Sudano, Roger Ross Williams

Cast: Donna Summer

Release: 2023-02-21

Runtime: 107

Plot: The extraordinary story of disco queen Donna Summer through a rich archive of unpublished film excerpts, home video, photographs, artwork, writings, personal audio and other recordings that span the life of one of the most iconic performers ever to shake a room to its timbers. From her early career with Giorgio Moroder in Germany, to later years more focused on spirituality and family life as a shelter from troubles associated with both notoriety and intimate wounds, her story is all the more special for being told in the first person – both singular and plural.

LOVE TO LOVE YOU, DONNA SUMMER (2023) (HBO) Max. An intimate documentary about the life and career of the 'Queen of Disco', Donna Summer. Co-Directed by Summer's daughter Brooklyn Sudano (with Roger Ross Williams), the movie takes a very personal viewpoint on the singer's career.

There is no formal narration, but, fortunately, Summer left behind a very large collection of personal recordings (she was an early adopter of home video cameras) and writings. As a superstar, her career was also well-documented which only added to the family's wealth of archive of material. There are no 'talking heads' per se; instead, the 'narration' is largely formed from those recordings.

It's a fairly nontraditional form for those expecting a more straightforward 'Behind The Music' biographical doc, but, it mostly works. It progresses more or less chronologically - save for an oddly placed segment that flash-forwards to the recording and release of 'Bad Girls'. The most interesting aspect to casual fans is the portion given over to her pre-disco career where she went from leaving her family in Massachusetts to doing the play 'Hair' to going to Europe to start her professional singing career. Once 'Love to Love You, Baby' came out, her image as a sexed up disco diva was set. It certainly jump-started her success, but, the doc shows that it came at a personal price both in her private relationships, and her mental and physical health.

The disco label made it difficult for Summer to transition to non-dance oriented music, and like the Bee Gees, it hurt her on a commercial level, as well (she only had one Top 10 single after 1982). Even at the height of her fame she tried to break out beyond the image, but it was too strong to many. She continued to record up until a few years before her passing.

LOVE TO LOVE YOU, DONNA SUMMER is very an authorized biography with all three of Summer's daughters and her widower, musician Bruce Sudano, all appearing and relating their memories. Still, there are some quite dark truths and observations revealed. It not sanitized.

Attachments

• summer2.jpg
    summer2.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 17

jbirdp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Pascucci
I’m a huge disco/Donna Summer fan and really wanted to like this documentary but came away very disappointed in it. It seemed rather slapdash without any real cohesiveness. On the other hand, I thought Being Mary Tyler Moore was excellent.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
I’m a huge disco/Donna Summer fan and really wanted to like this documentary but came away very disappointed in it. It seemed rather slapdash without any real cohesiveness. On the other hand, I thought Being Mary Tyler Moore was excellent.
I disagree. I understood what they were getting at, and, as I noted, it wasn't a 'Behind the music' type thing. They wanted to get an inside the family look at Summer's inner self. On that front, it works pretty well. And, I thought the amount of music scenes was quite generous.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I liked it but agree that it was rather lacking. Like how to you have a Donna Summer documentary that basically glosses over Giorgio Moroder? He was to her what Burt Bacharach was to Dionne Warwick and what Holland Dozier & Holland were to The Supremes. Her success was intertwined with him. Surely there must be an interview or something with him discussing their collaborations. I mean like he produced 6 or 7 albums of hers yet no interview?
On the other hand The Bee Gees documentary is excellent. I highly recommend it and I’m not particularly a Bee Gees super fan.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
There was a pretty decent chunk of the doc that concerns Moroder with clips and interview bits. Moroder talks about how he and Summer changed the sound of music, both dance and electronic etc.

jbirdp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Pascucci
I liked it but agree that it was rather lacking. Like how to you have a Donna Summer documentary that basically glosses over Giorgio Moroder? He was to her what Burt Bacharach was to Dionne Warwick and what Holland Dozier & Holland were to The Supremes. Her success was intertwined with him. Surely there must be an interview or something with him discussing their collaborations. I mean like he produced 6 or 7 albums of hers yet no interview?
On the other hand The Bee Gees documentary is excellent. I highly recommend it and I’m not particularly a Bee Gees super fan.
Yes! I forgot to mention that. No interviews with Moroder (I think there were only sound bites)???! Now HE would be the subject of a great documentary (Giorgio Moroder)! I love me some Giorgio!

jbirdp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Pascucci
I disagree. I understood what they were getting at, and, as I noted, it wasn't a 'Behind the music' type thing. They wanted to get an inside the family look at Summer's inner self. On that front, it works pretty well. And, I thought the amount of music scenes was quite generous.
One we thing we can all agree on: surely there are better photographs of Donna than the one used in the ads…
LOVE TO LOVE YOU, DONNA SUMMER (2023) (HBO) Max. An intimate documentary about the life and career of the 'Queen of Disco', Donna Summer. Co-Directed by Summer's daughter Brooklyn Sudano (with Roger Ross Williams), the movie takes a very personal viewpoint on the singer's career.

There is no formal narration, but, fortunately, Summer left behind a very large collection of personal recordings (she was an early adopter of home video cameras) and writings. As a superstar, her career was also well-documented which only added to the family's wealth of archive of material. There are no 'talking heads' per se; instead, the 'narration' is largely formed from those recordings.

It's a fairly nontraditional form for those expecting a more straightforward 'Behind The Music' biographical doc, but, it mostly works. It progresses more or less chronologically - save for an oddly placed segment that flash-forwards to the recording and release of 'Bad Girls'. The most interesting aspect to casual fans is the portion given over to her pre-disco career where she went from leaving her family in Massachusetts to doing the play 'Hair' to going to Europe to start her professional singing career. Once 'Love to Love You, Baby' came out, her image as a sexed up disco diva was set. It certainly jump-started her success, but, the doc shows that it came at a personal price both in her private relationships, and her mental and physical health.

The disco label made it difficult for Summer to transition to non-dance oriented music, and like the Bee Gees, it hurt her on a commercial level, as well (she only had one Top 10 single after 1982). Even at the height of her fame she tried to break out beyond the image, but it was too strong to many. She continued to record up until a few years before her passing.

LOVE TO LOVE YOU, DONNA SUMMER is very an authorized biography with all three of Summer's daughters and her widower, musician Bruce Sudano, all appearing and relating their memories. Still, there are some quite dark truths and observations revealed. It not sanitized.
One thing we can all agree on: surely there are better photographs of her than the one they chose for the ads. What’s with the bad make-up and drawn on eyebrows?

BTW: Has anyone seen this one “Donna Summer: Hot Stuff,” another documentary from 2013?

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks