What's new

Pre-Order Love, Simon (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91Qb8PVmmdL._SL1500_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Geez, at least release it in theaters before you announce it!

I agree. This doesn't even come out until March 16. That's what, five weeks or so from now? What kind of message does it send to potential ticketbuyers when you can already pre-order something that far out?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Now you know why I'm so defensive about a certain film from England with "similar themes" getting a limited theatrical release. This is the flip side of that; a first quarter studio release that gets a disc announcement more than a month before its release.

Why do theaters put up with this? As someone who has always loved everything about the moviegoing experience, it's kind of sad to see this happen. Will the line between movies and TV continue to get blurred even more than it already is?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Now you know why I'm so defensive about a certain film from England with "similar themes" getting a limited theatrical release. This is the flip side of that; a first quarter studio release that gets a disc announcement more than a month before its release.

I'm not sure what you're referring to or how it is related to this film. If by "similar themes" you mean to imply that this is happening because the film includes gay characters and themes, I disagree. While it is regrettable in somewhat undercutting the theatrical business, this kind of early pre-order listing seems to be standard practice for Fox. Red Sparrow is also already up for pre-order and it is three weeks away from opening. If you're implying something else, I don't understand what you mean. Can you clarify?

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I feel that studios are going out of their way to undercut the theatrical business. It's ironic because they hated and feared TV so much in the 1950s. Not so much a gay issue as a technology issue. Although technology works into the plot since it involves them meeting online.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
So hold up. This may be a something for Ron, but I'm going to talk this through.

I don't see any press release, any release date or anything official from anyone outside of Amazon. Amazon has the listing up with, again, no release date, no specs and what is likely temp artwork. So what's the problem here?

If this information wasn't supposed to come out for another 5 weeks - preorders during opening weekend are now commonplace - someone at Amazon got a little antsy and jumped the gun. Is it really a shock Fox is planning home video releases for this movie? The most shocking thing to me is there is apparently a 4k release for this one.

The fact Love, Simon is coming out on video is not a shock and I don't know how anyone can argue it's designed to cannibalize the theatrical run. Every movie released into the theater (at least by the major studios) is going to get a disc release a few months after they get released. At this point in the life cycle of home video, that shouldn't be a shock.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
It's more a placeholder, really, that you can activate NOW and be informed as to when it's actually being released since you're in the system as "interested." I don't really see an issue with it, either. This is just Amazon collecting data on how popular a title it might be once it's actually released. "This Summer" isn't exactly a hard date.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
What's shocking about it is just how short the window between theaters and home video is getting. It's almost as if theaters are just a formality to the studios. Not to me, they're not. Maybe if new movie theaters weren't so drab and utilitarian, and if only they hadn't negated the whole point of widescreens by making them less tall for 'scope/2.4:1 films. Even the orange-and-lime-everywhere 1970s/1980s shoeboxes didn't stoop that low!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
What's shocking about it is just how short the window between theaters and home video is getting. It's almost as if theaters are just a formality to the studios. Not to me, they're not. Maybe if new movie theaters weren't so drab and utilitarian, and if only they hadn't negated the whole point of widescreens by making them less tall for 'scope/2.4:1 films. Even the orange-and-lime-everywhere 1970s/1980s shoeboxes didn't stoop that low!

Yeah. I'm kind of surprised anyone bothers to shoot 'scope anymore. Seems if you want to take full advantage of screen real estate these days - both theatrically and on home video - it's best to stick to 1.85. It's bad enough most cinemas are constant width, but even more annoying that they don't bother to mask the screen anymore, so you're getting letterbox bars on 'scope films.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
What can I say? It's a new world and home video is part of the exhibition model now.

It's been part of the exhibition model since the 1970s, and once Fox and its new owner-to-be got in, there was no going back. The difference is that theaters still mattered more, while even flops had to wait six months before getting a video release. Now, with every movie, it's pretty much a given that it will be on video three months after it's in theaters. It dampens the incentive to go out and see it in one.

Video also killed off second-run movie theaters in a lot of places.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm wondering who is going to go to a movie theatre in 15 year's time? After I set up my 4K projector last month, I decided that I'm not going to see a coming home video 4K release theatrically. It's better in my living room; plus - the total cost of going to a movie is about the same as a disc. In 15 years, I bet everyone will have 120 inch screens at home! Uncompressed 8K streaming will be the norm!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If this information wasn't supposed to come out for another 5 weeks - preorders during opening weekend are now commonplace - someone at Amazon got a little antsy and jumped the gun. Is it really a shock Fox is planning home video releases for this movie? The most shocking thing to me is there is apparently a 4k release for this one.

You have a good point there. I can't really argue with that.

I just feel like putting it up for order this soon may indicate to some people that the disc release won't be very far off, and may discourage people from going to the theater, if they can already reserve copies. I sort of feel that way about p pre-orders during theatrical release, too, although the industry is certainly moving in the direction of shrinking windows anyway. This one thing isn't going to damage the theater industry, but it's symptomatic of a larger sea change that's going on in the industry with regard to theatrical-to-video windowing which I personally don't like.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I will. As long as movie theaters continue to exist, I will line up to go support them.
I have enjoyed going to the movie theatres since my Dad first took me to see the musical Oliver! at the age of five. I've been hooked on cinema since then. As a teenager, I often travelled to London from Norway to see 70 mm screenings and have travelled there occasionally for special screenings as an adult. Standouts were the 1989 reissue of Lawrence Of Arabia in 70 mm, the 1994 restored My Fair Lady in 70 mm and the 2001 new 70 mm print of 2001: A Space Odyssey. I also travelled to London in 2012 for a 70 mm screening of The Master, but the film was damaged with a severe vertical scratch running through a large segment and it was projected on to a relatively small screen. I was in Washington DC at the Uptown Theatre in 2007 to see Blade Runner: The Final Cut. So, going to the cinema used to be a big deal.

However, in recent years, modern audiences ruin the cinema experience for me with their constant use of smartphones during the film, as well as talking throughout. How many times in a cinema recently have you seen an indifferent audience member searching through messages or playing Candy Crush on their phone next to you? I suspect for new generations of cinema goers, television back home is simply automated comfort food, background noise to keep them company as they quietly jab at their other screen. In multiplexes now, there is only one person on hand to run all the screens - cinemas are now automated and lifeless.

I now prefer to invite a bunch of friends to my home and screen a film. The quality (especially from recent 4K scans) is just as good as at the multiplex, I can pick the date and time, we can enjoy a glass of wine and we don't have to put up with inconsiderate people. So instead of travelling to London to see The Phantom Thread in 70 mm, I will look forward to seeing it in native 4K in my living room!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So instead of travelling to London to see The Phantom Thread in 70 mm, I will look forward to seeing it in native 4K in my living room!

This is turning into a sidebar discussion that doesn't have anything to do with Love, Simon, so maybe we should find another thread to continue it in? But for now...

If you have to travel a long distance to get to a 70mm screening, I get why you wouldn't make tht choice. However, do you actually think 4K is equivalent or better than 70mm?

My local arthouse is capable of screening 70mm, but they have Phantom Thread in digital only. However, the 70mm films I have been able to see have been unmatched cinematic experiences and I would love to see Phantom Thread (which is my favorite film of the year) in that format if it were available around here. The closest with a 70mm print right now is LA, so that's prohibitive, but I would totally go again if my theater brings the 70mm print in later as a one-off special screening, which they often do with older films.

Although, I haven't made the jump to 4K, so can't really comment on that, but still. The 70mm experiences I have had are among my most treasured movie theater screenings.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
This is turning into a sidebar discussion that doesn't have anything to do with Love, Simon, so maybe we should find another thread to continue it in? But for now...

If you have to travel a long distance to get to a 70mm screening, I get why you wouldn't make tht choice. However, do you actually think 4K is equivalent or better than 70mm?

My local arthouse is capable of screening 70mm, but they have Phantom Thread in digital only. However, the 70mm films I have been able to see have been unmatched cinematic experiences and I would love to see Phantom Thread (which is my favorite film of the year) in that format if it were available around here. The closest with a 70mm print right now is LA, so that's prohibitive, but I would totally go again if my theater brings the 70mm print in later as a one-off special screening, which they often do with older films.

Although, I haven't made the jump to 4K, so can't really comment on that, but still. The 70mm experiences I have had are among my most treasured movie theater screenings.
I saw Dunkirk in 70mm last August in Oslo. The 4K UHD I screened at home last last month was actually superior - my friends who attended both screenings agreed on this. There were no speckles or weave from the film, the detail from the 4K UHD picture is amazing - I can see tiny facial hairs on Fionn Whitehead's face, standing a foot away from the screen. The sound is better calibrated in my living room, than in cinemas (not difficult, as my living room is far smaller than a movie theatre). And there are no people ruining the experience in my living room. Now, an IMAX presentation of Dunkirk would undoubtably have blown away the home theatre experience, but I didn't get to see that.

Back to the thread: I somewhat doubt that I will purchase Love, Simon on 4K, but in 2018, I would rather purchase that and view it at home, than go see it in a cinema!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You have a good point there. I can't really argue with that.

I just feel like putting it up for order this soon may indicate to some people that the disc release won't be very far off, and may discourage people from going to the theater, if they can already reserve copies. I sort of feel that way about p pre-orders during theatrical release, too, although the industry is certainly moving in the direction of shrinking windows anyway. This one thing isn't going to damage the theater industry, but it's symptomatic of a larger sea change that's going on in the industry with regard to theatrical-to-video windowing which I personally don't like.

I can certainly get how that may dissuade people from going to the theater. 100% agreed. I know this is in my top five most anticipated movies of the year right with Avengers, Incredibles 2, Fallen Kingdom and Mama Mia 2. I will get to the theater and I don't care if I go alone or go with my anticipated group. I guess I always think if you want something enough, you find a way to make it happen.

The shorter window is nice for people who can't get to the theater for whatever reason or a certain subset of the audience who won't go see it in public for a host of reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks