What's new

Love Monkey ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
Tom Cavanaugh's role in Love Monkey is very similar to Ed, I'll admit. I'm not too surprised by this though. As far as I'm aware, Tom Cavanaugh hasn't made any movies or sitcoms since Ed. Given this, I didn't expect a network to take a chance on a role change for him.

I mean, his character in Love Monkey even had a baseball bat in his office - just like Ed!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

:laugh: Amen to that! I just got back from a weekend fishing trip with 3 friends and my wife asked me what we talk about up there.

I said, "honey, we just take pot shots at each other's sexual preferences, physical attributes, and try to come up with the most disgusting comments known to man."

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed the Pilot except for the best friend role 'Bran' played by Judy Greer. The Full of Wisdome friend with Sage like advice can get very old very quick. I'm not sure if her character is even necessary. I realize they may be setting up the best friend that is eventually 'the one' scenario but you don't need to hit us over the head with it in the pilot. I still liked the vibe to the show and hope it gets a chance to grow.

Brent T

Second Unit

Glad to see I am not the only one. In this womanized world we live in I thought I might be the strange one.

I will be watching it tonight and I hope the male friends dont were the skirts and panties in this episode.

Ohh except for the gay baseball player, he can wear what he wants.

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
Dang it, missed the pilot. Tivo is now set for the season.

To those who, dare I say, "read", the book this show was based on was really entertaining (although my wife hated it). Rather than working in the music biz, he was a writer for a tabloid-y newspaper.

I recently completed a weekend in Vegas with the boyz, and yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
1/24/06

This was a good episode, it had a good vibe throughout, and I hope they can sustain the momentum started from this episode.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Caught this one by default, since as much as I lub Mariska, I don't watch her in repeat. ;)

I really enjoyed Love Monkey. It has a vibe beginning and once they tweak the man friends stuff and do something about Bran (why is she there, exactly?) it'll be huge, at least on my must see list.

I am a huge pop/rock music trivia buff and that was a neat angle to the show. I was pleased, however that Tom and Milovawhatever didn't shout out to High Fidelity more specifically when she challenged him with a "top 5". It remained "inside". And the fact that she named my favorite song in her top 5 made it a nice moment indeed. The Cure "Just Like Heaven" is the perfect pop song, IMHO.

Nice finish. I read on IMDB that the boy that plays Wayne won a slot as a Partridge Family reality show finalist. He looks just the heck like John Meyer and sounds like him, too.

Already set it up in two weeks on my PVR.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I like this show because of his character's musical stance (which completely matches my own). The love/relationship aspect of it is decent, but it's the music industry side that really gets my juices flowing. :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Is this show filmed in New York City all the way through (I know they filmed "Ed" in upstate New York, due to it being in "Stuckeyville)?

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
I’m not sure if our local network screwed up or what, but last week the pilot of Love Monkey aired and this week it was episode 3. At the end of the pilot Ed, or whatever his new name is, was without a job and just gave up his new talent find. In episode 3 he’s working at an independent label, has already taken back his new pop star from his old job, and is working with a Britney Spears clone named Chloe.

What happened to episode 2?

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

Sounds like you might have only seen part of the pilot. He got his new job and found out that the indie label had managed to sign the talent at the end of the pilot.

I thought the show was ok. I'm still getting an Entourage for women vibe. Esp with the "suit" theme. Seemed like the lines were delivered just like Director Billy Walsh would spit them at E and Ari.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Would have been a better idea. Nothing kills like a pretense to coolness. Even worse when that pretense is supported by the way uncool. I thought the John Maher kid was a joke, until I realized the show was actually holding him up as some paragon of rock-n-roll authenticity. I mean... wha?

Second episode didn't hold me. I'm sorry to say I think I'm through with this show.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I came home from work and my wife is watching repeats of 90210. Then I finally caught Love Monkey. Bizarre to see how much Jason Priestly has aged. Makes me feel old since we are the same age.

BrianV

Stunt Coordinator

I agree. I watched the first half of the second episode, found it predictable and pedantic, and I think I'm done.

It's really too bad. The casting was done well and the premise had potential, but the writing is so bland that it's not worth watching.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
Nothing against Judy Greer but why did they even create her character for the show? She shows up at moments just to offer words of encouragement. She could even be like a Guardian Angel that no one else sees.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I had sort of an opposite reaction. The first episode was okay, and was ready to give up if episode 2 wasn't the greatest, but I found it to be rather entertaining. Better than the first one.

So, I'll stay with it.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I just watched the first episode yesterday. I liked it and though the guys have better dialogue writers, I think most guys while in a group talk simular to what they had on the screen. Was kinda surprised at the end when they went to the montage and the one door opens and it was a guy waiting for him. Glad they could have a gay character but not make it the sterotype like most shows. He is just one of the guys!

That was Teddy Geiger. He is releasing his first CD in March. There's an article about the music and the artist in this week's TV guide.

I think this show has a lot of potential but will probably be gone in a few weeks since it is not a Law and Order clone or a reality show.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure you were watching episode 2. Tom, that is his character name as well, got the job at the independent label at the end of episode 1. Then at the beginning of episode 2, last night, he is getting dressed for his first day at this new job.
Sorry for the redundancy. I thought I was responding to the last reply and realized it was the last reply on the first page. So you can ignore this reply.

Although, I noticed Patrick Sun mentioned that Ed was filmed in upstate New York. I believe it was filmed in New Jersey.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The reason I thought "Ed" was filmed in New York state was because Tom Wilson was at Dragon Con one year and had mentioned that he had to fly back to New York to go back to filming episodes of "Ed". Tom played Molly's boyfriend of sorts on the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks