What's new

Pre-Order Love Me Tonight (1932) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81mpAMo18GL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I do hope there's a reversible cover. While the woman is definitely Jeanette MacDonald, the man in the picture only looks a little bit like Maurice Chevalier. That said, I buy discs for the movies, not the covers, so I'm getting this one.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I do hope there's a reversible cover. While the woman is definitely Jeanette MacDonald, the man in the picture only looks a little bit like Maurice Chevalier. That said, I buy discs for the movies, not the covers, so I'm getting this one.
That's funny, I find the resemblance quite good.

maurice-chevalier.jpg

Here is a shot from The Love Parade '29 with the Blu-Ray cover.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
a03982d3-9442-4bc0-9d3b-cbbd2de3cf90.jpg
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
Kino Lorber Studio Classics Releases
Rouben Mamoulian's Pre-Code Musical Comedy
Love Me Tonight (1932)
Starring Maurice Chevalier and Jeanette MacDonald

Brand New 4K Master Available on Blu-ray September 29, 2020
Packed with Bonus Features including Audio Commentary by Film Historian Miles Kreuger, Musical Performances by Chevalier and MacDonald, and More!
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
acb69772-8e6a-4d44-92a4-c4cba1144399.jpg
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]

New York, NY -- September 10, 2020 -- Kino Lorber Studio Classics proudly announces the Blu-ray release of Rouben Mamoulian's delightful pre-Code musical comedy Love Me Tonight (1932), starring Maurice Chevalier and Jeanette MacDonald, presented in a brand new 4K master.

The Blu-ray is set to street on September 29, with a SRP of $24.95, and comes packed with bonus features including audio commentary by film historian Miles Kreuger (founder and president of the Institute of the American Musical), Maurice Chevalier singing "Louise", Jeanette MacDonald singing "Love Me Tonight" (from the Paramount newsreel series, "Hollywood on Parade"), screenplay excerpts of deleted scenes, production documents and censorship records, and the theatrical trailer.

From Rouben Mamoulian, the legendary director of City Streets, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Song of Songs, Queen Christina, Becky Sharp, The Mark of Zorro and Silk Stockings, comes a madcap musical tour de force of infectious melody, effortless vivacity and ceaseless invention from first frame to last. Building on a foundation of songs by Rodgers and Hart (Babes in Arms, Pal Joey), Mamoulian shepherds Maurice Chevalier (The Merry Widow) and Jeanette MacDonald (Rose-Marie) through this exuberant romp. Carefree tailor Maurice (Chevalier) leaves a backlot Paris where music literally radiates from every shop, sidewalk and boudoir to collect on a past-due bill at a recalcitrant aristocratic client’s family chateau. Mistaken for royalty, Maurice runs a gauntlet of lunatic blue-bloods, including love-happy Myrna Loy (The Thin Man) and screwball icon Charlie Ruggles (Bringing Up Baby). But it is Princess Jeanette’s (MacDonald) closely guarded heart that Maurice desires and it will take every ounce of his ingenious pluck to woo her without revealing his well-meaning romantic deception.​
[/TD]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]

[TD valign="top"]
Love Me Tonight (1932)
Prebook Date: 9/1/20
Street Date: 9/29/20

Label: KL Studio Classics
BD SRP: $24.95
BD Item #: K24493
BD UPC: 738329244934
Genre: Musical
Director: Rouben Mamoulian
Starring Maurice Chevallier, Jeanette MacDonald, Myna Loy,
Charles Ruggles, Charles Butterworth, C.Aubrey Smith

Technical Specs:
1932 | Black & White | 89 minutes | 1.37:1 | 1920x1080p |
Optional English subtitles | Dual-Layered BD50 Disc | Not Rated

Bonus Features:
Audio Commentary by Film Historian Miles Kreuger
(Founder and President of the Institute of the American Musical)
Maurice Chevalier sings "Louise"
Jeanette MacDonald sings "Love Me tonight"
(from the Paramount newsreel series HOLLYWOOD ON PARADE)
Screenplay Excerpts of Deleted Scenes
Production Documents and Censorship Records
Theatrical Trailer​
[/TD]
[/TD]

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Looking forward to the 'extra' film clip of Chevalier singing 'Louise'.
I have two copies of Chevalier singing 'Louise', one on a US and one on a UK 78 shellac disc.
Both are ok to listen to, but while not showing much wear, have a lot of surface noise, which I think is intrinsic in the original stamping. So it will be good to hear a possibly clearer recording.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Looking forward to the 'extra' film clip of Chevalier singing 'Louise'.
I have two copies of Chevalier singing 'Louise', one on a US and one on a UK 78 shellac disc.
Both are ok to listen to, but while not showing much wear, have a lot of surface noise, which I think is intrinsic in the original stamping. So it will be good to hear a possibly clearer recording.
From my experience, all those shellac discs, even if they look fairly pristine, have lots of surface noise built in, but also a very strong sense of presence coming from the voice and music. It's almost like he's in the room with you. Unfortunately, the two--surface noise & presence--seem to go together.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I am absolutely delighted with the Blu-ray disc of this classic. The image is lovely and such an advance on the DVD that it isn't worth talking further about. The audio is a little less impressive: it's 88 years old and isn't going to have the impact of more modern soundtracks. And you can tell the engineers weren't completely successful in removing all those years of aural problems though it's very, very good.

I saved Miles Kreuger's audio commentary for tomorrow night. Can't wait to hear what this master spokesman for musicals of this era has to say about it.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm totally amazed too at the quality of the image. And the sound is acceptable. A lovely bonus is Chevalier's singing of his classic song 'Louise'.
I have the long 'drive' song 'Isn't it Romantic' teed up for our next big screen cinema night here with friends, followed by Donen's 'Charade'.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thoroughly enjoyed Miles Kreuger's commentary. I had heard it before, but it was a long time ago, and so many of these character actors that he discussed mean so much more to me now, so his discussion resonated more this time around. And I appreciated how respectful he was of certain sequences which he refused to speak during in order not to spoil their brilliance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks