What's new

Love it when I hear a sub bottom (1 Viewer)

Greg Br

Second Unit
ok, I sure as hell don't if its mine or anyone I know, but check this story out.

I am at Ultimate Electronics, which is a big box hifi store, alot better than Best Buy but not quite at the level of your small audiophile dealer. Well they have these show areas setup with different systems and some sales guy is demoeing a set of Infinitys and a Indinity sub and he puts on the pod race froM TPM. Some customers are sitting there and I am watching, and he goes over and adjusts the sub. My first thought was this guy knows this scene and IS turning it down. Well he turned it up, and when the race got going I new it was to loud, I said "hey your going to bottom that sub", he looked at me like get out of here guy. Not 15 secomds later you here crack, crack, and that guy looked like Carl Lewis heading over to turn that sub down. I was LMFAO, he was not happy and I don't think he made the sale, oh well, live and learn!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Usually commercial subs like those have limiters built into the amplifier stage that prevent them from bottoming the sub.

I'm suprised you actually heard a driver clack.

-V

Greg Br

Second Unit
Well it may have been something else, I have never heard a sub bottom, but it was two cracks in a row. I really know nothing about Infinity subs, it was just funny this guys look he gave me, like you know NOTHING about NOTHING.

Not 10 minutes earlier I had a sales guy tell me with DVD Audio you can use your receivers bass managment, at least that guy listened when I explained it to him. Its just funny how little the majority of these people know and how they are advising you on how to spend 5k.

RajeeK

Second Unit
Not 10 minutes earlier I had a sales guy tell me with DVD Audio you can use your receivers bass managment, at least that guy listened when I explained it to him.
Well actually he is partially correct. The new generation recievers do have bass management for the Multi-channel inputs. Two for example are the Pioneer VSX-49TX and the soon to be released Denon 5803. But yes, the far and away majority do not have bass managment for DVD-A/SACD.

GabrielC

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't too hard to figure out that secret ;)
What part of the Lost In Space DVD did you use to test out the subs?

Vin

Supporting Actor
What part of the Lost In Space DVD did you use to test out the subs?
Chapter 1, Fighter Launch
Chapter 10, Exiting Hypergate
Most of the subs I listened to reacted with a violent wretching sound when trying to reproduce the bass from these scenes! Try to imagine a subwoofer with the dry heaves.....not pretty at all! :eek:
Vin

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Thats why I'm pretty happy right now with my 2 subs (VeloCT-120 & SVS 25-31CS+).
They can handle everything I throw at them especially hearing how they handled Chapter 16 of 15 Minutes.
No bottoming there. Just room shaking bass!
Can only imagine what 2 SVS 16's would sound like, I may never know cause the wife would draw the line with those 2 Monsters in the room.
JohnG:D

Ken Hoyme

Grip
I believe a bottomed out a small Sunfire sub when I tried out some pipe orgam music early in my speaker hunt. There was a sustained long held chord, with a low 32' pedal pipe (in the 16-22Hz range) and the sub started to try to play the note, and the vibration increased until it just rattled noisily. :thumbsdown:
The clean subs I have auditioned handled this without the note quality changing as it was held. (This chord was not loud -- just very, very low.)
I am closing in on a Paradigm Servo-15 -- it handled it very well.
Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks