Love Happy

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Charles H, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

I just watched LOVE HAPPY on dvd, and irregardless of the quality of the film itself--and the production and cast credentials certainly make it a curio at the very least--I was very impressed by the video quality and this from Artisan!! I've seen previous incarnations on LD, tape, and cable and this is clearly superior to those presentations. For an independent production, this looks superior to any of the Paramount or MGM Marx films. Does anyone know if there was a restoration? The potentially problematic nightime scenes in the rooftop chase against neon advertising is excellent.
    The photography was by William C. Mellor (who photographed A PLACE IN THE SUN around the same time) and the Republic- owned film was distributed by Lion's Gate and bears the Paramount logo at its conclusion. Does anyone else have an opinion on it?

2. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

I just watched LOVE HAPPY on dvd, and irregardless of the quality of the film itself--and the production and cast credentials certainly make it a curio at the very least--I was very impressed by the video quality and this from Artisan!! I've seen previous incarnations on LD, tape, and cable and this is clearly superior to those presentations. For an independent production, this looks superior to any of the Paramount or MGM Marx films. Does anyone know if there was a restoration? The potentially problematic nightime scenes in the rooftop chase against neon advertising is excellent.
    The photography was by William C. Mellor (who photographed A PLACE IN THE SUN around the same time) and the Republic- owned film was distributed by Lion's Gate and bears the Paramount logo at its conclusion. Does anyone else have an opinion on it?

3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

It's also LONGER than any prior version! The laser was around 83 min., but the DVD is over 90. There is a musical number where the ingenue goes up & down steps while acting suggestively towards the male dancers, that I have never seen ANYWHERE (and it was risque enough that it would have been cut from TV in the 60s & 70s & I would have definitely noticed it if it wasn't). The pic quality is by far the best I have ever seen this flick. No trailer, though.

4. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

I also recommend HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL from Artisan (????!!!) It looks terrific--and contrary to the "full frame" posting on the backcover--it is in real CinemaScope OAR. Recommended by Mike Clark in last week's USA Today Video Review column.

5. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I just ordered both. But is "High School" just letterboxed or is it 16:9? This movie has a full house of "young stars".

John

6. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL is non-amamorphic, so it is just letterboxed and not 16x9 enhanced. Leave it to Artisan to mess this up.

Steve