What's new

Love at First Bite - Soundtrack Restored? (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm really looking forward to the July release of Love at First Bite. I enjoyed it a lot as a kid, but all recent airings of the movie that I have seen have replaced 'I Love The Nightlife" by Alicia Bridges during the Nightclub scene with another song and it is my understanding that on the current video release it's also been replaced. Is MGM/Sony gonna spring for the music rights or are we gonna be stuck with a modified release?

I'm all ready to pre-order, but this question has been nagging at me. That song is such a huge part of the movie and it would really hurt the movie experience for me to have it missing. I don't think it would stop me from buying but it would be a major :frowning: .

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator
Last time I saw it (on VHS many years ago) I didn't notice that song having been replaced. I think I would have noticed, because it's one of my favorite scenes in the film.

walter o

Supporting Actor
I have the very old Warner video of it (in a orange colored cardboard, book style box that opens up with cast list inside) and the song is NOT there! I taped it off HBO in the 80's, and it was there. So lets keep our fingers crossed.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
yeah, i was looking at some of the'reviews' on amazon and that was the first time i became aware that they replaced the song.
this is one of my most looked forward to releases this year, and it would be a HUGE disappointment if they cheap out and compromise one of the films biggest set pieces.

but i'm not really optimistic...

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
HBO was showing it about 3 months ago and it had the original soundtrack. It was a pretty good transfer, obviously cleaned up, so I recorded it on DVD. If the MGM version does have the music replaced at least I have that.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Maybe MGM did a new transfer? Hopefully this bodes well for the July release.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
The disco scene was the best scene in the movie! If they don't keep Alicia Bridges' I Love the Nightlife I'm not buying.

Clay_E

Second Unit
I never knew this had happened! I'll definitely NOT be buying this DVD if the music has been replaced...:angry:

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
That song and movie go hand in hand....what's the point in releasing the movie without it? That'd be like releasing Saturday Night Fever without "Stayin' Alive".

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As usual, leave it to me to go against the tide. The "I Love The Night Life" song was an amusing gag for 7 seconds before wearing out its welcome but hardly the only joke in the movie! I'll be buying the disc even if they've replaced the Alicia Bridges song with Jeannette MacDonald trilling "Ah, Sweet Mystery Of Life".

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i think its a little more intrinsic than that.
obviously the movie isn't the most important movie of 1979 (a spectacular year for films, imo)- but i do think it is one of the best genre spoofs ever made.
i'd second it only to Young Frankenstein.

and the fact is, the song and the dance between the characters underscores a pivitol narrative point- that the count has achieved his primary goal that opened the film, and has/is seducing the object of his affections, and its accompianied by songs lyrics that, while not written for the film, still perfectly crystalize the thoughts and feelings of the characters.

that, and i just like the song, dammit.

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed. The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of this movie is that song. (The second thing being "Never a quickie. Always a longie.")

walter o

Supporting Actor
Mine is "children of the night....shut up!"

and

"without me Transylvania will be as exciting as Pokares (sp?) on a Monday night"

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
saw a news item earlier that Sony will have absorbed all MGM product by July (meaning i assume, that the branding on packages and before the features will no longer have any reference to MGM but only to Sony).
also, in the thread concerned with Sonys practice of dropping widescreen transfers on discs which previously featured both full and wide, its been mentioned how insidious Sony is becoming in replacing music.
i had thought that most people were having a problem with Universal in this regard, but given that Sony has, according to a post in this other thread, gone from changing the theme songs in several series to outright dropping of scenes which contain incidental music, i now feel pretty confident that ILTNL will be replaced in LAFB.

this looks like it will be the first disc i boycott because of a replaced music.
i now have to pysche myself into ignoring this release now, after looking forward to it for so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks