What's new

Lovage (aka the new Dan the Automator) (1 Viewer)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Hey gang. I'm not really sure how big of a following Dan the Automator has here on the HTF, but a CD he produced just came out this past Tuesday. It's called:
Nathaniel Merriweather presents...
Lovage: Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By
The last time Dan called himself Nathaniel Merriweather (the same name as Chris Elliot's character in Cabin Boy) was for 'Handsome Boy Modeling School.' (Titled after a "Get a Life" episode.
Handsome Boy was a collaboration with Prince Paul, Kid Koala, Del, El-P, Brand Nubian, Mike D, and others.
It's a great disc.
Lovage is a collaboration with Mike Patton (of Faith No More and Mr. Bungle) and Jennifer Charles, whom I hadn't heard before. Kid Koala spins, with Prince Paul, Damon Albarn, Afrika Bambaataa, and Plug 3 from De La Soul making spoken-word appearances.
It's different than what I expected. Prior Automator albums, like Deltron 3030 and Dr. Octagon are all hip-hop at its best. 'Lovage' is more like the Automator-produced Gorillaz CD. It's rock, with fantastic beats. The Gorillaz was more pop-esque though. Lovage has some darker melodies and tones, with Mike Patton singing at a whisper for some tracks. Jennifer Charles impressed me, I'll have to check out what else she's done. I like it better than the Gorillaz disc, which outside of "Clint Eastwood" was good, but not great.
The beats on Lovage are great. Automator and Kid Koala work so well together, as evidenced on "Koala's laments." The spoken word stuff is all good for a chuckle, too, but I wish those guys would have sang on the disc. Nevertheless, Lovage gets a :up: from me.
And I already pre-ordered the companion CD earlier today. It comes out in December, I'm curious as to what's on it.
Your pal,
Jason

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Wow, am I the only person on the HTF into the Automator? He wondered aloud.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
No, I'm looking forward to this record. I heard some clips from it a few months back (Dan is also working on some pieces of Score for an independent film I just worked on- so we got a sneak peak at some projects he was working on).
I wasn't a huge fan of Gorillaz, but being a Dan fan and a Mike Patton fan- this album is certainly on my list!
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Do you want SOUTH PARK on DVD in order, rather than themed sets? Join our overwhelming majority!!

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Vince,
I was also a little disappointed in the Gorillaz disc. I think after hearing 'Clint Eastwood' my expectations were so high that I was let down because Del was only on 2 tracks. The beats were great, as always, on the disc though.
I'm really starting to warm up to 'Lovage' now. Not to the point that I'd say it's Dr. Octagon caliber material, but it's really growing on me. Stroker Ace is a great tune.
I'm curious though Vince, you've met/worked with Dan on a film score? Do tell, if you can.
And do you know of a collaboration between Dan and El-P of Company Flow? I read on the 75ark.com website that one was in the works, due for release late 2001 or early 2002.
Thanks,
Jason

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
quote: I'm curious though Vince, you've met/worked with Dan on a film score? Do tell, if you can.[/quote]
Well, Dan wants to get into film scoring... A small indie film production that I'm working on approached 75 Ark about using music from their label in the film. The woman who runs the label said she knew Dan was interested in Film score and thought maybe they could work something out.
So he said he was interested- saw some clips and said he would compose score for 2-3 scenes and offer unreleased unused raw beats for other pieces. In the process of all this I got to check out some of the (then untitled) pieces he was working on with Mike Patton (I kinda Patton as well via a few mutual friends in Music in LA) via the people at 75 Ark.
I haven't really met Dan- although have swapped Voicemail messages with him in relation to film schedules.
So basically I'm the sound designer and responsible for the final mix for this film. I'm waiting on tracks from 75 Ark- which will hopefully be original composition score from Dan for the film- again, if he has time.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Do you want SOUTH PARK on DVD in order, rather than themed sets? Join our overwhelming majority !!
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on November 12, 2001 at 02:48 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks