Louis Armstrong

Discussion in 'Music' started by Keith*D, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Keith*D

Keith*D Agent

Hey guys, I am looking for the best Louis Armstrong album out there. CD, DVD-A, SACD I don't care, I will listen in stereo only. Anyone have any recommendations?

Keith

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

The Hot Fives and Hot Sevens is the body of work that most jazz critics would say to be his greatest.

Given the age of those recordings, the sound quality won't be great, but don't let that keep you away.

After that, there are a lot of albums that he made, over a period of decades, that are very good. "Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy" is one that comes to mind.

3. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

I agree that the Hot Fives/Sevens is his strongest work, and this set is the best sounding and most complete of that material available. Lively, seminal recordings.

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I'm not an expert on LA, but I have one cd I like very much.

It's the selection of songs, and the warmth, that gets to me. The cd cover shows the man in a baseball cap.

The disk seems to be out of print, but would be easy to find, and here is a link to the Amazon listing, so you can see a lot of opinions on it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

I'm one of these people who first heard "What a Wonderful World" in Good Morning Viet Nam, and that song leads off this cd.