Loudspeaker Under $2,000

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allen Marshall, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

the sad fact is i have no way of auditioning speakers, specially high end ones but i dont want to get any farther into that cause its embarassing.

I want to know, what loudspeakers you guys auditioned and what you went with and why.

if anyone has auditioned a Swan 6.2 and a RS750 please let me know what yah thought and which one you though was better and why.

But thats not all, i want to hear what everybody went with and why, cause like i said...im just gonna have to go with popular opinion, it sucks but i trust people, and im sure i'll be happy with anything i get you know but i dont want to end up gettin the worst speakers for $2,000 in the world [​IMG]

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Allen,

We need some more information. Is this for a 2 channel system, or a HT/music system.

If straight 2 channel, have Brian Bunge at www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com build you a pair of GR Research Diluceos. Here is a review

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...grresearch.htm

If this is a joint system, have Brian build you a pair of the new GR Research AV-3 speakers. I have the AV-1s and they are amazing. Here is a review of the AV-1s and the AV-3s are better.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-5-2003.html

Another option would be to look at ACI speakers.

3. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

If you're going to the $2000 level. The choice is rather easy. Get a VMPS speaker. They have won CES Awards as Best Product of the Year 2 years in a row over 30,000 products. Their products compete with the best of the best at many multiples of their price.

At $2k, you can get an upgraded 626r bookshelf. Don't worry about their listed retail. You can generally easily get a 20% discount thru their dealer network. A good dealer is John Casler at 800-320-6884. Call him up and ask questions. He's extremely knowledgeable about VMPS and other speakers. He's a REALLY good source of info. and offers amazing customer service. BTW, I didn't buy my speakers from him, but he's legendary in his service.

Go to:
    http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewforum.php?f=39

or

www.harmonicdiscord.com

These websites are FILLED chock full with info on VMPS. There's a specific VMPS forum to answer all your questions. BTW, VMPS speakers are extremely tweakable. There are dials in the back to adjust the sound to your room. Truly unique!

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I agree with George in that we need a bit more information. I have listened very closely to the 750s, but not at all to the Divas, so I cannot make a comparison.

I listened to Ascends, B&W, JBL, Polk, Klipsch, Infinity, Sonus Faber, Rockets, MBL, Onix Reference, Tannoy, Seinnhauser monitors, and many others whose names I don’t recall right now.

I have not listened to every model of every line. Plus, over the years I have listened to many different systems, including a good many Bose products.

In the end, I narrowed my choices to Internet companies, as I began to believe in that marketing model being more cost=effective than the B&M method.

I wound up with some Rocket products, in part because they have very fine cabinets in their price range, plus very find sound.

But there are a lot of fine products on the market.

5. Rick Ewing

Rick Ewing Agent

You might read this thread on AV123's web site that details a shootout between Rockets, Divas and two different B&W speaker types. The writeup was done by a Diva owner. The Diva's were 6.1s, not the updated 6.2s.

http://forum.av123.com/showthread.ph...ht=diva+rocket

6. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

A couple of years ago, I began a search for a speaker to replace my old 25 yr old JBL L100. I bought several brands of speakers and set up an A-B tryout for several of my friends and family to help me judge results. This went on for several weeks as we slowly evolved through different amps, receivers etc to get a valid end result, at least to us......
    Speakers involved:
    Magnepans MMG
    JBL S Series
    JBL N Series
    Monitor Audio 5i Silver
    Energy RVS LCR
    Norh 4.0

As I said, all these were A-B'ed against each other and slowly eliminated one by one.......

Nothing was as "in your face" as much as the old L100 but the Maggies showed me that the panel type speakers were very different and worth a listen with the right amplification.

I ended up with NONE of the above and kept the L100. My son selected the Energy RVS LCR and still has them. Great speakers..... My Brother selected the JBL S-38 and still has them too. Yes I lost money selling the rest of them but it IS a hobby so you expect to spend a little to get what you want.

I have always wanted some of the Veritas by Energy and now own a pair of the 2.2.........great build quality and they are just now getting broken in and although still more laid back than the old L100, they do sound exceptional.

Good luck on what you end up with and these guys around here can certainly spend your money for ya but also guide you in the right way too!!!

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

8. DaveKahler

DaveKahler Stunt Coordinator

maybe sales people give him the heebie-jeebies [​IMG]

9. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter