What's new

Loud popping sound from Sony 53hs30 RPTV (1 Viewer)

Nathan Gillmore

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all, I've had a Sony 53" HDTV for around a year now and up until now it has been working fine. Two days ago it shocked us all (not literally!) by suddenly popping very louding and at the same time the picture would flash on and off, then it would be fine until it popped again. I turned it off for a while and turned it back on and it was fine, watched it all weekend without incident.

Now, I get home today and it is doing the same thing. Tried turning it off for a bit and when I turned it back on, it starts up again with the insane loud pops and flicker. The popping sound comes from inside it and has a plastic quality to it, if that makes any sense.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Has anyone had any experience with a problem of this nature? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Wade L

Auditioning
Sorry I don't have an answer to your problem, but I wanted to pitch in because a very similar thing started happening with my Panasonic 32 inch Tau set (CRT) a few weeks ago when the solar flares were happening (not saying that is the cause, just the approximate time this started).

It seems like what is happening is that a charge is building up somewhere inside the TV, and once it reaches a certain threshold a spark jumps (probably to some grounded part of the TV). This causes a loud snap or crack sound and the screen flickers for just an instant. It's quite scary! It seems to happen at random intervals, but gets more frequent when the set has been on for a long time.

It'd be great if someone had some insight into why this is happening or how to fix it :)

Nathan Gillmore

Stunt Coordinator
You just described perfectly what is happening to mine! Let's hope someone out there can explain this. I was thinking it might be static buildup, but I have a rather expensive surge protector so I should think that isn't it. It's really baffling...

mofet_n

Grip
ohh my G.. I have the same problem with my 53 inch RPTV which is about 7 years old). Whenever the tv is in use, i would hear a "plastic sound" just popping. I taught it happened because of the plastic box of which my tv is made from, causing it to just pop whenever it changed in temperature. But it is very loud, and when watching tv with my system on very loud, I can hear it. man i hope someone has an answer for this.

Wade L

Auditioning
mofet_n: Your issue actually does sound like the TV's external case adjusting to temperature changes. That's not what's happening on mine. Two questions you could answer to clear it up: Does it stop after your TV is fully warmed up? If so, it's probably thermal flexing and not the same problem I have. Is there any effect on the picture when you hear the crack sound? If not, then it's also not the same issue mine has.

I guess I can live with the snapping sound and associated screen flicker (which happens maybe once every 15 minutes), but I'm worried that the electrical discharge, if that's what it is, could zap some of my other equipment or hurt the TV itself.

Nathan Gillmore

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed something else about mine last night. When I first turned it on it did the loud pop and flicker after about 5 minutes. I turned the set off, then back on again and about 10 minutes later it popped again.

Next I unplugged it and let it set for around 30 minutes, then after plugging it back in it didn't pop for the remainder of the night. Could be just coincidence I guess. Not sure if unplugging it helped or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks