Loud Pioneer 106S DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tsutsui, May 5, 2002.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I noticed that when I play a DVD movie in my HTPC the DVD player spins full speed and makes a lot of noise.

However, if I stop playing the movie, and then reload powerdvd application again, then the loud spinning stops, and I can then play the entire DVD with no noise from the player.

Why is this so, and is there a way I can play the Pioneer 106S slot load DVD player without it always spinning loudly.

I thought it was memory related but I just don't understand why the DVD spins less the 2nd time I open PowerDVD V3.0

Is there a program I can DL that adjusts the speed of the DVD. I tried Nero drive speed but that seemed to have no effect when playing with the settings while a movie was playing.

There has to be an easy fix other than playing a movie, stoping, then playing.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Chris,

You can get an application for the Pioneer to foce it to spin at 1x (which is, I assume, what POweredvd is doing). This is a common issue with these drives, and the forced 1x application solves the problem.

Do a search on 106s Pioneer on the avsforum's HTPC area- you'll find the link.

-Vince

3. Chris Tsutsui

Thanks, will 1x affect the performance in any way?

Oh and if I notice random pink squares on the screen as I'm playing a DVD, is that a dirty DVD or an overheated video card? It was on 2 different DVDs one day, and then it went away the next day. My guess is that the graphics card was overheating causing the artifacts. (I have it overclocked)

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Just out of curiosity, why do you have your video card overclocked?
    Heres the link to Pioneer drive util: http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/multime...e/software.htm
    Running it at 1x speed will not affect DVD playback performance, but if you use it for games you may want to disable it when playing.

5. Chris Tsutsui

I actually have 3 drives in my computer.
    One's a 48x CD rom for playing games and installing.
    The other is a DVD drive for playing movies only
    The 3rd is a 32x12x40 CD burner which can also be used for reading CDs (I have my sound card connected)
    The reason I overclock my graphics card is because it makes a significant difference in frames per second and overall performance. Games are a lot smoother, and I can get to specific numbers and benchmarks but this is a HT forum. hehe
    link to my computer
    (I use zip ties to mount a massive golden orb to cool the GPU, which allows me to overclock it to add over 400 3dmarks.)
    Edit: BTW, Thanks for the link Matt