Loud hum with new SVS CS-Ultra. Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim_S, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

I just got my new SVS CS-Ultra with Samson amp and am having a serious problem. Whenever I plug everything in and power up the amp to my speakers a _very_ loud buzzing occurs. This is, as you might imagine, quite annoying. Any ideas on how to fix it?
    Details:
    Equipment - Denon 3300 feeding an Anthem MCA5 amp. Everything is plugged into a Vansevers Power conditioner.
    Problem occurs when all electronics are plugged in with interconnect going from receiver into Samson amp and Anthem is turned on. All other equipment need not be turned on. If I disconnect interconnect, buzzing disappears. If I unplug Samson, buzzing disappears, if I turn off Anthem buzzing disappears.
    I've tried plugging the Samson into several other outlets but with no success. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
    Tim

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I'd try a 3 into 2 AC prong adaptor, this tends to work about 95% of the time. There's also ground loop breakers that patch into the subwoofer linelevel cable--about $15 at rat-shack,
    TV

3. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

Tom,
    I have three prong sockets on the walls. So I didn't think it was the ground loop hum, unless of course these three prong sockets aren't really grounded. I'll try to find the part at Radio Shack, but if anything else occurs to you, let me knwo.
    BTW, in the meantime I'm feeding this monster with one of the channels on my Anthem amp. Wow! Once I get this fully up and running I think I will be very happy indeed.
    Tim

4. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

Tim, I think what Tom is suggesting is a 3-prong-female to 2-prong male AC adapter that disconnects the grounding pin on the sub's power cord from the AC ground. That was gonna be my suggestion as well. It's worked many a time for me removing hum, and the adapters cost about .50 each.
    Jerry

5. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

Ah, ok. I think I have one of those laying around. I'll give it a shot.

6. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Isn't that dangerous to defeat the ground with a cheater plug?
    Kevin C.

7. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

Kevin, when the "fix" of the cheater plug was first suggested to me to correct problems many years ago, it struck me funny as well. But, I did it, it fixed the hum, it has fixed many since, and I've never had a problem with it.
    Jerry

8. Matt Malto

Matt Malto Stunt Coordinator

The cheater plug got rid of the hum when I get my SVS 20-39CS and Adire amp. Seemed to easy, but it works!

9. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I also had a hum from the transformer of my sub. Cheater plug did not work. Also this is very dangerous if you get a short inside the sub!
    I found that if I turned on my TV or a particular lamp in another room the hum would be present but would go away when I turned them off. To fix the problem I had to find a circuit in the house that was isolated from the lamp and TV and on the opposite phase of the circuit that fed the lamp and TV.
    Hope this helps.

10. Tom Vodhanel

>>>Isn't that dangerous to defeat the ground with a cheater plug?

11. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget too that your amp IS still grounded via its (grounded) connection to your receiver and the rest of your gear.
    Abstain from taking a shower with your amp and you'll be fine. We've had a few folks with this sort of ground loop and I can't think of a single one that was not solved with the "cheater" plug.
    Ron

12. Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson Stunt Coordinator

The cheater plug will work. Unfortunately, if something goes wrong, it may also kill you.
    http://sound.au.com/earthing.htm
    The IC's will not do the grounding for you.
    [Edited last by Peter Johnson on July 12, 2001 at 12:06 AM]

13. Tom Vodhanel

>>>The cheater plug will work. Unfortunately, if something goes wrong, it may also kill you

14. Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Just pointing out the dangers...you are after all removing the earth. There is a reason for it...if the chassis becomes live, and you have a cheater plug, you are in big trouble...
    Yes, the chances are probably well into the millions, but it can happen...thats all I was pointing out.

15. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
  16. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

My Vel does not have the 3rd prong on its power cord at all.
    The new outlets have a larger connector that carries the neutral which in most cases is good enough and is tied to the chassis.

17. Roger Clark

Roger Clark Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sunfire Signature subwoofer and the instructions actually recommend the use of a cheater plug if there is a ground loop problem. I have had the cheater plug connected since I first got the sub, no problems.
    Roger

18. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

Well, the cheater plug worked. I may be taking my life into my hands but weighing the obnoxious hum against the tiny chance of death, I find the hum more annoying. I may look into something else safer later on but this works for now. Thanks for the tip.
    BTW, running the SVS Ultra off of my Anthem amp (170 wpc) was nice, but off of the Samson 500, well, I may have to find a contractor who can reinforce the walls in my house. I just bought the thing, I don't want it to fall down immediately! [​IMG]
    I'll try to post a review of some sort this weekend, but early tests are very, very good.
    Tim

19. Jeff_N

Jeff_N Agent

"Give me bass, or give me death."
    TV - Here's a good testimonial for your products:
    "Customer chooses to risk life rather than go without his SVS Ultra Series sub."
    [Edited last by Jeff_N on July 12, 2001 at 12:15 PM]

20. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

How about this....
    Replace the outlet with one of those near-water bathroom-type safety outlets that have the breaker built in, then use the cheater plug. This way you can have your cake and eat it too. Any electrician types can correct me if this won't work.
    FWIW, neither of my amps (Marantz MA-700 and B&K ST-140) nor my receiver have the ground plug.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org