Lou Grant

Dave Scarpa

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
digging up this old thread, started watching this on Hulu, they only have the first 3 seasons and i forgot just how good this series was, i love that its the inner most working of the newspaper, and while the world is so much different now a lot of this still stands out, i hunted down and was able to get the first 4 seasons on eBay for $45, so ill be looking for a deal on the final season which from what i've read has some terrible transfers, but i'm a completist

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Makes working at a newspaper seem so exciting!! I worked years in broadcasting and it’s nothing like Lou Grant!

Reactions: B-ROLL

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I also wonder if they want to purposely put an "iron mask" on MTM and others. Remember, when they first got the library, new prints of many MTM shows TOTALLY EDITED OUT the MTM logo in favor of 20th Television. I sense a slight burial fetish here...
The same as Sony whitewashing any and all CPT logos of the times, and CBS doing the same w/Paramount logos (albeit the latter situation has improved immensely under VEI)?

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How things have changed in just three years! The naysayers in this thread, I'll bet, are quite surprised to see not only Season One out tomorrow, but Season Two already announced for August.

Harry
Hell yeah I was surprised to see it, especially the entire series released in a fairly timely manner, almost totally complete episodes, and was impressed at the lengths Shout went to in cobbling together a workable season 5.

Of course, I now own the entire series, and thoroughly enjoyed it when I watched it over the summer.

Which leads me to...

Could I please see a link to the thread with all those endless posts asking for "Me And The Chimp?" It'd be nice to see some factual information to back that up rather than bitter hot air.

Part of the reason why "Lou Grant" is not remembered fondly has to do with the fact that like it or not, it turned a lovable character from the ensemble of a beloved show into a figure who became associated with pretentious soapboxing on issues from one end of the political spectrum. It was no longer Lou Grant as played by Ed Asner, it became Ed Asner using the character of Lou Grant as a mouthpiece for his real life politics. I think most people who are fans of the MTM Show (and would you call us "double digit" IQ people?) are not exactly going to be automatically interested in this show because it's not the same character.
I can see that. But I can also justify it in universe as well.

MTM's Lou Grant was a dead inside drunk working at a job he hated. Lou Grant's Lou was mostly sober, working at a job he loved, in a profession he loved. Big difference.

Same character, vastly different circumstances.

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Five years later, I haven't changed my view at all about the show, though I add the caveat that I am glad that those who like it have it, as people should be free to be able to see whatever they want to see.

I did in the intervening period look at the first episode and got a reminder of how this show was determined to not make even the slightest concession to the notion this was the same character. When Lou meets Charlie Hume, an old friend that he supposedly knew years ago and hasn't seen on the order of 20 years, you'd think *maybe* just a little aside about "Sorry to hear you and Edie split up," or something similar might have helped make more of a connection (because presumably Charlie would have known Lou when he was married and known Lou's wife!). It's because this show never at any time really acknowledged Lou Grant's past that this made it even easier for me to dismiss the idea that it's any kind of extension of MTM Grant.

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Five years later, I haven't changed my view at all about the show, though I add the caveat that I am glad that those who like it have it, as people should be free to be able to see whatever they want to see.
My thoughts exactly!

Harry-N

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
When Lou meets Charlie Hume, an old friend that he supposedly knew years ago and hasn't seen on the order of 20 years, you'd think *maybe* just a little aside about "Sorry to hear you and Edie split up," or something similar might have helped make more of a connection (because presumably Charlie would have known Lou when he was married and known Lou's wife!).
No that stuff didn't happen in the pilot episode, but it was referred to during the series as Lou sympathies with Charlie as he and his wife are discussing a breakup. (Season 3's "Brushfire"). There were also episodes with at least one of Lou's daughters, and one with Mary's Aunt Flo (Eileen Heckart).

I was a fan of MARY TYLER MOORE and had no trouble adjusting to the more dramatic LOU GRANT because there WAS a sense of humor about the show. Much of the interplay with assistant Donovan and reporters Billie and Rossi is quite amusing - certainly more understated than the more broad humor of MARY TYLER MOORE - but stuff that can put a smile on your face.

I'm certainly no fan of the politics that was inserted into the show, but can tolerate it for the good stories told nonetheless.

greenscreened

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
Loved the MTM show and couldn't wait for LG to be aired, but when I saw the pilot episode I guess I was expecting more of the old "Lou", sadly, I bailed on the series.

I did start watching some of them on YouTube last year and the writing is really good.

If the unedited series was released, I'd buy it.

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Loved the MTM show and couldn't wait for LG to be aired, but when I saw the pilot episode I guess I was expecting more of the old "Lou", sadly, I bailed on the series.

I did start watching some of them on YouTube last year and the writing is really good.

If the unedited series was released, I'd buy it.
It is... for the most part.

There are maybe a half dozen episodes total in the first 4 seasons with issues (a few syndie cuts, a few complete but timesped, IIRC). Season 5 is... well, Shout put forth a heroic effort. But the various owners of the MTM catalog over the years treated the shows like crap, and Lou Grant S5 was hit particularly hard. And it's doubtful The Mouse will do anything better with the show than we have now.

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I have not seen the Eileen Heckart episode, but from what I read of a summary, I don't think there's ever any direct reference to Mary or Lou knowing her from Minneapolis, but if I'm wrong on that, I'd be glad to be proved wrong.

I admit, I still have visions of what it might be like if Ted Baxter suddenly dropped in unannounced in the newsroom to see his "old friend" and regaled them all about the time Lou thought it was hilarious when a man was crushed to death by an elephant. :D

greenscreened

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob
It is... for the most part.

There are maybe a half dozen episodes total in the first 4 seasons with issues (a few syndie cuts, a few complete but timesped, IIRC). Season 5 is... well, Shout put forth a heroic effort. But the various owners of the MTM catalog over the years treated the shows like crap, and Lou Grant S5 was hit particularly hard. And it's doubtful The Mouse will do anything better with the show than we have now.
Thanks for the tip, as I didn't read the previous posts before replying and wasn't aware they were already available!

(a few syndie cuts, a few complete but timesped, IIRC)

I hate when that happens, as I just looked at Amazon to see if "The Complete ___ Season" was on the box, and it was.
And as usual, quite often, it's (they're) not!

Boy I'd like to purchase some of these alleged 'complete seasons' (that aren't) in a brick and mortar store, hand the cashier some waded-up paper currency, and tell them it's the 'complete amount' as I'm walking away.

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lee
There are maybe a half dozen episodes total in the first 4 seasons with issues (a few syndie cuts, a few complete but timesped, IIRC). Season 5 is... well, Shout put forth a heroic effort. But the various owners of the MTM catalog over the years treated the shows like crap, and Lou Grant S5 was hit particularly hard.
So with the 90 Lou Grant episodes from seasons 1 thru 4, 6 episodes have edits/imperfections. That isn't good but if the problems are limited to 6 episodes I suppose I can live with it.

I just ordered seasons 1-4 on ebay, found a pretty good deal, paid $48 total which is $12 per season, so I figured what the heck I'll go for it. I don't know yet if I want season 5, I'm aware that DVD set has some issues too. But for now seasons 1-4 will be enough for me.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So with the 90 Lou Grant episodes from seasons 1 thru 4, 6 episodes have edits/imperfections. That isn't good but if the problems are limited to 6 episodes I suppose I can live with it.

I just ordered seasons 1-4 on ebay, found a pretty good deal, paid $48 total which is $12 per season, so I figured what the heck I'll go for it. I don't know yet if I want season 5, I'm aware that DVD set has some issues too. But for now seasons 1-4 will be enough for me.
Here you go. From the other thread.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4594714/

Final tally for the first four seasons is 8 altered episodes, 5 timesped but complete, 3 syndication edits. So really, only 3 problem episodes IMO.

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lee
Here you go. From the other thread.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4594714/

Final tally for the first four seasons is 8 altered episodes, 5 timesped but complete, 3 syndication edits. So really, only 3 problem episodes IMO.
Thanks for sharing the link to the other thread. So 8 altered episodes but 5 are complete/timesped while the other 3 have edits. I agree that the 3 edited ones are the main problem. Timesped episodes aren't great either but if they are complete it's acceptable. Looking forward to receive the DVD's I ordered and start watching episodes.

Wiseguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I have not seen the Eileen Heckart episode, but from what I read of a summary, I don't think there's ever any direct reference to Mary or Lou knowing her from Minneapolis, but if I'm wrong on that, I'd be glad to be proved wrong.
I recall Lou telling Billie that he almost married Flo, which, of course, occurred on the MTM show.

greenscreened

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob

You can't go wrong with that price.

New?

Reactions: Lecagr

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lee
You can't go wrong with that price.

New?
Yes they are supposed to be new, the seller describes the sets as new and unopened.

I was just thinking, The White Shadow is another MTM show from the late 70's/early 80's, and the episodes from the first two seasons turned out pretty good on the DVD's from Fox studios, all are uncut except for one 1st season episode titled "The Offer" which has a scene edited because of music. Compare that to Lou Grant's first four seasons DVD where 5 episodes are time sped and 3 are edited, and the 5th season sounds like it's pretty much a mess. That's unfortunate but I imagine Shout Factory did the best they could.

I wonder why Fox studios hasn't released the 3rd season DVD of White Shadow?

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lee
I received the Lou Grant DVD's today, seasons 1-4, the sets are new and unopened as the seller described. The plastic case that houses the season 4 discs is cracked and slightly broken, I'm not happy about that but everything else is in good shape.

I went on a post Christmas shopping spree and ordered some DVD's. First I ordered It Takes A Thief complete series which I received yesterday, then I ordered Lou Grant seasons 1-4 which arrived today. I've also ordered Streets Of San Francisco complete series and Mr. Novak season 1, those should arrive soon. There are more DVD's I'd like to have but I'm trying to limit my expenses so I'll probably wait awhile before I order anything else.

Reactions: bmasters9

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I've also ordered Streets Of San Francisco complete series and Mr. Novak season 1, those should arrive soon.
That Streets all-in-one: do you think your copy will be in the same form of packaging as mine (to wit, the below image)?

streetsstackeddiscs2.jpg

Reactions: Lecagr

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badritbneha