What's new

Lou for You (Lou Lumenick's NY Post columns on DVDs) (3 Viewers)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I would say if you did put a P/S movie on the average consumers tv today, he'd be mad that there were bars on the side...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/322306/lou-for-you-lou-lumenicks-ny-post-columns-on-dvds/60#post_3981655
I would say if you did put a P/S movie on the average consumers tv today, he'd be mad that there were bars on the side...

Yep, I think you might be on too something there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/322306/lou-for-you-lou-lumenicks-ny-post-columns-on-dvds/60#post_3981655
I think most people that buy these titles from select etailers want those titles in their OAR. These titles are not being sold at Walmart, but are being bought by a more knowledgeable consumer.

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
My reviews of the Universal Monsters, Early Frank Capra and Edward Small Adventure Classics sets.
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_universal_monsters_capra_idAyOENswhlsg7p28jC3nM

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
I just got a check desk for TAKE HER SHE'S MINE and it turns out to be 2:35 letterboxed. Sorry if I passed along incorrect info.

NoirFan

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Donolo
What about "The Story on Page One"? Any chance that one as well may be letterboxed after all?
Peter Donolo

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
A bonus column with my thoughts on Warner's upcoming 3-D conversion of THE WIZARD OF OZ and its 100th-anniversary DVD and Blu-ray megasets
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_the_wizard_just_fine_is_WSHeo8iEK00qbGA3NQIMZL

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
PaulaJ said:
Something Big (1971) is also finally getting a DVD release on October 9... and according to Amazon, it's FOOLSCREEN.
ARRRRRGGGGGH! (and it's not even Talk Like a Pirate Day)
I just bought this and
a) This is a CBS/Paramount release
b) It is labeled with an aspect ratio of 16:9 on the back cover. I watched it to confirm and lo and behold, it is anamorphic widescreen!
The early press release info was wrong.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I'd appreciate any info on the aspect ratio of THE VISIT when it becomes available, AND has been confirmed. Many thanks!

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
In this week's column, reviews of Blu-ray upgrades for STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, DIAL M FOR MURDER, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE, DEAD RINGER and the superior director's cut of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS; more details on WHV's 90th anniversary plans, including the debut of THE BIG PARADE; and some speculation about Warners' new deal to handle hundreds of Paramount's catalogue titles on video.
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/plus_extra_hitchcock_davis_crawford_OxG6PrHpOwF40OMZglWA5O

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
ENTER THE DRAGON is on Blu-ray; perhaps this will be a new transfer with different extras. And (picky, picky) LITTLE SHOP was a 1986 release. Looking forward to enjoying the new Blu.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Another Paramount silent released on DVD (and blu-ray) with its remake is The Ten Commandments.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Lou,

Have you noticed that Olive hasn't announced any new titles beyond Ramrod and The Trap on November 20th? I wonder if their agreement is coming to an early end with Paramount?

Crawdaddy

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
Robert, after the Paramount-Warner news broke I asked Frank Tarzi of Olive if this would have any affect. He said Olive had 75 Paramount titles and another 160 Republic titles under long-term license, so I assume more will be coming.

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
This week's column looks at TAKE HER SHE'S MINE from the Fox Cinema Archive and has the usual round up of upcoming classic titles.
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/dvd_extra_take_her_she_mine_arrgznmGzfgCWXj8ByMknM

Lou Lumenick

Insider
Real Name
Lou Lumenick
Take Her She's Mine is definitely 2:35. Anamorphic 16X9 I'm not sure about. The box for THE VISIT, which just came in, lists it as 4:3 pan and scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks