Lottery what now???I

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by David McGough, Jul 11, 2003.

1. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

I see were one winner has come forward to claim their
    half. The other winner has not come forward.
    What happends to the other unclaimed 125 million? Does the other winnner get to claim it all?
    Does the unclaimed go back to Sat night's drawing?
    I have not seen one artical on the net about the winnings

Anybody know these answers?

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    In most lotteries I believe you have up to a year to file a claim. So, no, the money won't be available in Saturday's drawing. A year from now, if they still haven't claimed it, perhaps it'll be put back in. And the winner who has been identified will not get more than their half.

The regional tri-state lottery here usually puts all the unclaimed prize money in the jackpot just before Christmas to make an extra large holiday jackpot.

EDIT: From the PowerBall website:

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Just my opinion, but I think that if the other ticket doesn't come forward within a year (fat chance), the other winner should get it all. After all, there would be no physical proof that there was another winning ticket. (Just the computer record.)

4. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

Brian Im with you... How do we know there are 2 winners, mabe
    just one and the other 125Mil is divied up. It's a scandlest world out there..
    Im in Tennessee and we just voted in a lottery. Im slowly learing the rules. I only play the Power Ball when over 200mil. I will drive the 65mile trip dreaming of how I'm gonna spend my millions. I buy $100 worth and fuss the next day.

It is fun for a short time

5. RussR

RussR Stunt Coordinator

If they're smart, the other party is first consulting with an attorney and financial/tax advisor, deciding whether to establish a trust to receive the payout(s), etc. This is particularly likely if it is a ticket held by a group of people, such as an office pool.

Oh, and changing their phone number, of course.

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Can you imagine the paperwork and effort that would go into tracking every case of money being redistributed to the other winners if a prize goes unclaimed?

Even still, the fact that there are 2 winning numbers means that the 1 winner is only entitled to half of the winnings. I can't see why you would get the other half because the other party didn't claim it. It wasn't yours to begin with.