Lots of Windows Media 9 HD coming!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jim Robbins, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

I just visited the Media Player 9 site and it looks like a great deal of IMAX DVDs in HD are coming. "Coral Reef Adventure" is out now with more to come. Since it may be quite a while before main stream HD-DVDs show up, I am strongly considering getting a computer for my projector.
    You need a minimum of 2.5g speed and a fast video card to get 720P and 3G and AGP8X 128DDR to do 1080P.
    Has anyone tried this?

2. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I've tried the T2 DVD and some of the sample files on the Windows Media site, including the Coral Reef Adventure one in 1080p. Ran very smooth on my setup, AMD 2500+ - Radeon 9500 Pro. It was a wash on my P3 1GHz system. It is easily the best looking video I've seen.

3. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Jim,

can you post a link?

4. Bryan Gibson

Bryan Gibson Auditioning

Go to w w w . wmvhd . c o m

I don't have enough posts yet so thats why the silly url.

5. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

There are some MSFT folks involved with WMVHD/Corona that talk over at the AVS Forum, so they're definitely getting feedback from the consumers. Just as long as we don't scare 'em off, we might be able to have an effect on the future of WMVHD, and maybe even HD-DVD, since Corona is supported by the DVD Forum.

Good things about the Coral Reef disc: DRM is no longer "phone-home" like their demo (60-day limit), or T2:EE. Included are both a 720p and 1080p (yes a full 1080 lines) version, although minimum specs for the the 1080p version are something like P4 3Ghz, 512MB RAM, and 128MB video card with Fast Write enabled. Some have reported they can use media players other than WMP9, such as Zoom Player, and that in fact it may be easier on the CPU.

6. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator