What's new

Lots of speaker questions, looking advice (1 Viewer)

JamesRo

Auditioning
I was hoping some of the knowledge folks here could help me with my speaker setup. I’ve done a ton of research and went out and listened to some different speaker packages and have narrowed it down to 3 contenders. The key here is they all pretty much sound the same to *me*. Now I don’t have the best of hear for music etc, so I’d like to get some opinions on each. Quick background: I’m in a 20 x 14 sized room with a Denon 1803 receiver. Looking to spend around $800-$900 for a 5.1 system.

1. The first setup is what I bought when I got my receiver. I have 30 days to return them, so I’m not too worried if I find something else I like. They are the Boston Acoustic Mirco9000 system (or some such name).

Fronts – Micro90x II
Surrounds – Micro80x II
Center – Micro90C II
Sub – PV600

The price was pretty good on these guys (around $700), but while I’ve heard good things about BA I’ve never heard these models mentioned. Also, these were some floor units, still have the full warranty and all.

2. Second system. Athena set. Heard good things about these guys.

Fronts – B2’s
Surrounds – B1
Center – C1
Sub – P300

Now while I say I’ve heard good things, the B2 haven’t been getting the best reviews. Should I go with 4 B1’s maybe or maybe splurge and get one of the floor standing models for mains?

3. Polk system. Circuit City is selling these guys at a pretty good price. The main choice if I go with this one is the mains...the Rti38’s I think sound a bit better (could be my imagination though) but are only available as a floor unit. I’d like to hear what folks think about getting openbox/floor/demo units. This a bad idea or nothing to worry about?

Fronts – Rti38 (Rti28)
Surrounds – Rti28’s
Center - Cti30
Sub – Still looking

Then there’s the ELT package from AV123. I would probably return my receiver and get the $1250 deal. I really would like to go for this but two things are holding me back...one I’m a little leery of buying this type of equipment over the Internet, and two I’m not a big fan of cherry color speakers :) As you can see, I could really use some help here! I really appreciate the time the forum members put in to help us “newbies.”

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Many of us do believe that some of the best speaker buys are to be found in the Internet companies. Of course you should be wary—and only consider those with a sound reputation and a reasonable return policy.

I am an advocate of listening to many speakers before you buy, as this will give you a basis for comparison and you will also be able to more quickly learn what characteristics you find pleasing and displeasing. With Internet companies it is often difficult to compare, but you can probably find someone with Rockets in your area that will allow you to listen. Also you can order, listen in your home and return (out the shipping) if they do not suit your needs (and ears).

Ascend, Axiom and Rocket (AV123) are all companies with sound reputations that appear to provide excellent customer service and support, and I am sure that you could order from any of them without fear.

To second Curtis’ opinion on the ELT finish, it is not so red as many pictures make it look.

You should be aware that I do not own ELTs, but have listened to them closely. I do own Rockets and have found AV123 to be an outstanding company with which to do business. Mark and his associates are knowledgeable and passionate and will give good advice.

I have listened to BA, Athena and Polk, but not necessarily those models, so I can’t comment, although I thought that the Athena center speaker was not as good as their other speakers (a bid drawback for HT, but not an issue for music).

The ELTs are outstanding for HT at that price and do well for music also.

JamesRo

Auditioning
Thanks for the info guys! I was wonder what ya'll thought of getting floor model/demo speakers? I'm alittle concerned about it, but I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid. The one's I got still have the same warrenty and all, but of course have been played off and on for the last 6 or so months.

Also, anyone else have/heard of the other setup's I was asking about? Thanks!

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
I love buying direct, so I'd definitely check out the ELT system at av123. You want to demo it at home anyway, and this makes it easy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks