What's new

Lots of Questions about improving a cheap sony speaker. Help! (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Im interested in buying a krell KAV-400XI. Since it isnt cheap it will leave me no budget left for speakers. But my brother sent me his sony speakers. 3 way system. 6" bass, 4" mid, 1" Tweet. I looked inside it today... no crossover. It has push terminals, and it resonates like a bitch. First thing Im going to do is replace the speaker wire inside. But can I put a croosover in it? Also would dynamat help the resonating? Im curious how cheaply I can make this a decent speaker. It says it handles up to 150 watts. I know sony over rates stuff so with they last the 6 months needed before I get new speakers. The krell is 200 Watts a channel at 8 Ohms.

THe things I want to do to them are...

Fix or Help the resonating cabinet.

Put new terminals on it.

Replace the wiring inside.

Maybe put a real crossover in it.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Now I know I wont get great sound out of them. So is it even worth it to work on them at all? If I can make them sound decent I may put them outside or in a bedroom in the future.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Personally, IMO if your components leave no money for speakers you're getting too much component.

The Krell is a very nice piece of hardware but how long is it going to take you to get speakers to match it's ability?

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well its all dependent. Im not 100% sure this is the route I want to take. But I want to do it right the first time. I love the sound of the krell and I know if I dont get it I wont be happy. But I may be able to get the krell and maybe some XQ1's for temp. But Im not sure yet.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Smash the Sony's with a sledgehammer, of course wearing appropriate eye protection at minimum. This way, they will at least have some entertainment value. If you put anything into them, you are wasting both your time and money.

Your alternative is to not spend so much on your amp, and find a ballance between amplification and speakers in your price range, or save until you can get what you want.

You may want to look Used or kit, as noted above, such as: GR Research also.

JustinDR

Agent
I have to agree with John, don't put any money or effort into the Sony speakers. Spend less on the integrated and buy some good speakers with the money you save. Since you like the Krell, another possibility for an integrated is the sim audio moon I-3. It's only rated at 100 watts/channel but may suit your needs. If you did buy the Krell and used the Sony speakers (no matter what you tweaked), you wouldn't even come close to realizing the Krell's potential.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Ok just a few quick things. I wont use the sony's permanantly. It will just be temp until I can get the Kef XQ5's I want. But I work at ultimate electronics. Maybe my manager will let me buy a pair of ok q series kefs and return them when april(my b-day) comes around. If you guys think the sony's are just gonna straight up suck, then ill just buy some cheaper speakers with the krell or not even hook the dang thing up till I can get the ones I want.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is understood that you would not be using the Sony's for a long time, but you are basically trying to drive a 1963 VW beetle with a 2003 Porsche Twin Turbo motor. It will be fast, but it will not be fun.

If you can buy and then trade in the Q's, then I would recommend doing that. I think just about ANYTHING will be better than the Sony's with no crossover. Do you carry the Crestas?

JustinDR

Agent
If you really want to stick with the same Krell integrated then your idea of purchasing from the Q series line and later upgrading is worthwhile. I imagine you should be able to upgrade for simply the difference in price between the model you trade-in and the one you really want.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Mister Garcia is wrong again. They should be burned or painted white and sold from a van. IMHO your search for sound should begin with your speakers.

Jason GT

Second Unit
Chu lies, as he always does.

It begins and ends with speaker wire. :D

Seriously speaking - Driving Sony speakers with Krell is kind of pointless. Nice speakers driven by a Sony will sound better than nice stuff driving Sony speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My orignial response recommended burning, but I felt that the potential toxins given off by burning them would probably not be beneficial. It would also be less of an active "enjoyment" of the task :D

Not all Sony speakers are crap. I've heard a few that surprised me, but based on what was mentioned previously, I think we can make an educated guess that these, in fact, are crap.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
The sony's aren't worth it at all, just throw them out. If you can't really afford much there are good satellite systems from companies like Polk Audio, Klipsch, JBL and such. Personally I like the Klipsch best. :b that is of course if you won't have alot of money to spend, but to utilize something like the Krell's full ability you will def. want something better than those little crummy sony's, not worth doing ANYTHING to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks