What's new

lots of little receiver setting questions (1 Viewer)

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
i've got a Denon AVR-2802, and i have most of it figured out, but i had a few questions as far as settings go -

1) Should i have just Speaker A selected, or should i have both A and B selected? i have a 5.1 set up. when i have JUST speaker B selected, all the music comes from the subwoofer. the woofer works when just A is selected, but i wasn't sure if i was missing something by not having both A and B turned on.

2) if i watch TV with the Dolby Pro Logic II setting, will it sound better than if i just have it set to stereo, or 5 channel stereo? i was under the impression that this mode makes stereo stuff sound like surround sound...so would tv shows sound better with this feature?

3) i have the input mode set to Auto (as opposed to PCM or DTS). does this mean that when i watch a DVD, i'll never have to worry about flipping between Dolby DTS, Pro Logic, etc... because it'll do all that for me? i just want to make sure i get the best sound.

4) what exactly does the Direct setting do that's different from Stereo?

i think that's all for now...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1) If you don't have anything hooked to the "b" speakers, then you are opening the circuit by selecting the "b" switch, and shutting off the main speakers.

2) Nobody can answer this but you, this is your own preference.

3) Yes.

4) Pure Direct bypasses all tone controls and possibly bass management as well. It is exactly what it says: a direct, "unprocessed" signal.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
ok..that helps a bit, but i'm still a bit confused in some areas

1) when i have the B switch activated, i hear the subwoofer and nothing else. but the sub also works when i have A activated. so am i missing out on anything by not having B selected in ADDITION to A?

2) for the Dolby Pro Logic - this is supposadly used to make things like stereo tv shows sound like they're in surround sound, right? i think i like the Stereo setting better, because it sounds fuller...but i'm just curious.

4) so the direct, unprocessed signal...is this supposed to be a higher quality sound? for example, would listening to cds sound better if i select the Direct setting?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1) If the sub is run from a preamp out, then it is not powered by the receiver and as such, would not be shut off. The "B" output is for a second set of speakers, possibly for another room. If you don't hear anything but the sub when you push B in, I'd say you were missing something...

2) DPL and DPLII are surround processing that is applied to stereo signal. If that material is Dolby Surround encoded, the surround information will be extracted and sent to the appropriate speakers. If it is stereo, it will not give you quite the same effect, but it will give you simulated surround, though using the stereo setting may work better in many cases.

4) Less circuitry and processing is getting in the way of the signal, so many would consider this higher quality. Your ears should be able to tell you if it sounds better with it on or off, and it will also be affected by the quality of each piece of gear that is being used.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
sorry to keep posting...but just to clarify:

A = all 5 speakers AND the sub work
B = only the sub works

should i have just A selected, or both A and B? if the sub works in A mode, will it make a difference if i select B as well?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A is for your primary pair of main speakers. B is for a second pair speakers playing the same thing as the front R & L. If you don't have a second pair of speakers hooked to B, then there is no reason to use the B switch at all.

Bobby_M

Auditioning
and just for an added bit of info. Selecting A & B is the equivalent of parallel wiring the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks