lots of help needed...multizone, etc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

Let's say all the wiring is done in my new house and all i neeed to do was pick the components.

I need a SEVEN zone system. One zone will be my main 5.1 media room.

What kind of receiver do I look for? Is there a seven zone preamp or receiver with a 5.1 zone and the rest 2 channel?

Im just beginning here in the realm of multi-zone audio, so any advice on multizone equiptment would be greatly appreciated..maybe even a website that will help me in my quest..

thanks in advance

edit: i also need it to be compatbile with infared/keypads in each zone

2. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

anyone help?

3. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    My advice...buy an inexpensive seperate system for the rooms you want music in. A LOT simplier in terms of wiring and such...and more versatile.

4. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Do all 7 zones need to be independent? Or could you have, say one 5.1 source playing in the main room, and the same 2 channel source playing in all the other rooms?
    If not all your zones need to be independent then I would suggest using a multi-room amplifier such as those made by Niles Audio (and I'm sure many others) to take a single source and distribute it among many rooms. The different rooms can have independent volume controls and maybe even select between 2 or 3 different sources which are broadcast throughout.
    If you find that you only really need 2 independent sources then there are many receivers and pre-amps that can accommodate that. For 3 independent sources there are more limited choices, but still enough to make a reasonable selection. More than that I'm afraid you're likely in need of much more expensive custom systems. I'd suggest looking in the HT construction forum, I'm sure the folks there will be more familiar with whole-house audio type applications.
    Good luck and happy listening [​IMG]
    -- Dave