What's new

Lots of HD trailers at Apple's Quicktime site (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I guess in conjunction with the release of the new iPods and iTunes 6, Apple has also released several new HD Quicktime trailers (looks like 480p, 720p, and 1080i/p). They have:

Ice Age 2
The Da Vinci Code
V for Vendetta
Barnyard
The New World
Casanova
Rumor Has It
The Ringer
King Kong
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Trailer and Teaser)
Walk the Line
Bee Season
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Chicken Little
Jarhead
North Country
Syriana
In Her Shoes
The Fog
The Greatest Game Ever Played
Roll Bounce
Transporter 2
A Sound of Thunder
Supercross

Most of these are trailers they have had for awhile, they're just HD.

I used to be able to use Quicktime Alternate to direct download these files, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. It was nice because it was free and seemed to run better than the Trial version of QT7 I had. So... uh... if anyone knows how to direct download these without QT7 Pro... ;)

Brian

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Does the actual quicktime pro 7 offer any advantages as far as playback goes over quicktime alternate? I need to reinstall alternate, as the new iTunes 6/QT7.0.3 installed over it, but it would play even the older HD files smoothly, and in full screen. I had problems with the QT trial way back when dropping frames, like you said.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The 1080p Harry Potter did look pretty good on a 24" CinemaScreen... except for the fact that some of the CG effects looked terrible!

I'm hoping that they're showing some 'temp'ed footage, and it wasn't final footage for some of those shots...

Leo

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
CGI in trailers are often early composites that are refined and "massaged" before the final release. They have them there so audiences can see *some* effects.

Part of the problem of dropped frames and such is not software. The computer's hard drive can be fragmented, or the CPU can be busy with another task at the time. H264 is EXTREMELY CPU intensive, so much so that video cards and such will offer assistance in decoding in the future. It's a similar situation when DVDs first came out. PCs at the time were pretty much unable to decode MPEG2 smoothly.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Definitely not dropping any frames, but I do notice that the image "tears", especially in fast action shots. Is there a way to correct this?

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Ok, so I tried to purchase Quicktime Pro. Apple's website wants my billing address... no big deal... except it won't accept P.O. Box addresses. I don't understand this... it's my BILLING address, not my shipping address. Besides, it's not like they need to mail me anything, I just need a key to unlock the copy I already have on my computer, right?

Grrrr!!!

Brian

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
When QuickTime pops up, you can go Window > Show Movie Info.

The link to the quicktime file will be listed under Source. Select it all, right click and select copy. The URL for the movie is now on your clipboard.

Kami

Screenwriter
I still can't get this Quicktime HD stuff to play smoothly on my PC. Tried normal QT7 and Quicktime Alternate. Poor performance with both. very poor.

AMD AthlonXP 3400+
1.5GB DDR400 RAM
nVidia GF 6600GT

There's no reason why that shouldn't be able to playback HD content at 24fps. Windows Media 1080p stuff plays back fine...but 720p quicktime (hell even their 480p ones) chug chug chug.... :thumbsdown:

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Yup, should run smoothly on that. It runs pretty well on mine, not as good as WMVHD (the 6600GT has accelleration for that though). WMVHD even looks better than the new QT stuff. It's too bad we aren't seeing trailers released in that format. Plus MS doesn't make you pay for Media Player to watch stuff full screen.

Brian

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Is it just me, or does the 720p version look the best of the bunch? The 1080p one just seems softer somehow.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I downloaded the 1080p Harry Potter and 1080p King Kong. Both looked phenomenal (I also downloaded the 720p versions and didn't see much difference if any).

They both ran smoothly on my 3.2GHz Dual Core Pentium D, nVidia 6800, and 2GB 533 RAM.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I also want to know what kind of beast you have to own to watch these smoothly.

I just recently assembled a PC for myself with a Pentium Dual Core 3GHz with 2GB of RAM and a nvidia 128 MB graphic card connected to a widescreen LCD monitor. When I watch the Harry Potter 720p Trailer, it’s not 100% smooth. At the beginning there are places where I get little jerky motion.

Actually when I think back I have never been able to play back a smooth quick time video in my life! There is always a problem with them! However I have tried hi-def windows media videos on my *old* and *slow* PC and it showed them smoothly!

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

That type of hardware and only a 128MB card? You need more my friend. :D

Hard drive type and speed can also be a factor.

My spec:
3.0GHz Pentium D (dual core)
2GB 667MHZ DDR2 RAM
256MB GeForce 7800GTX
2 SATA-II Western Digital 250GB drives in RAID 0
1 SATA-II Western Digital 400GB

smooth as butter ;)

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I've not had any troubles at work, but then... heh:

PowerMac G5 dual 2.5gig procerssor
stock video card with:
Apple 24" Cinemascreen
Apple 20" Cinemascreen
4gb RAM
SATA 250GB hard drive
SATA 400GB hard drive

Quicktime Pro 7
Apple Final Cut Studio

My quicktime player reports that the 1080 is 24p - at least for the GOBLET OF FIRE trailers.

Oddly enough, the Mac plays quicktime fairly well... :D

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks