Lots of HD Content

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Markow, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Alan Markow

Alan Markow Agent

The new TV season plus the introduction of HDNet has significantly increased HD content. HDNet on DirectTV will show its first hockey game tomorrow evening. ABC and CBS are both showing their dramas and comedies in HD. CBS runs one HD college football game weekly. There's an HBO HD channel on Direct TV (which includes the HD version of Band of Brothers) and Showtime HD on Dish Network. Here in the Bay Area, numerous stations have strong, viable digital signals, and the big-three networks plus PBS (KQED) show HD.
    It takes a little work to get HD, and often requires a combination of outside antenna plus a satellite system, but early adopters are usually willing to go the extra length to get in early. It's almost fun to see the hiccups and minor errors that plague the broadcasters while they try to get it right. Overall, it's time to go HD -- especially for hobbyists and videophiles. Once you've seen HDNet, Leno, Band of Brothers, etc., it's hard to go back to 480i.
    Alan

2. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    The thing about Leno though, is that you really notice how white and pasty his make-up is when watching him do his monologue in HD. It's a slight distraction, but it gets me everytime I watch him. I imagine that once broadcsting live variety shows in HD becomes the norm, they'll get better at the make-up thing.

3. MickB

MickB Agent

It sure is great all the HD. I think the best HD is done by PBS. Smart Travels with Rudy Maxa(PBS) and Band of Brothers is my vote for best HDTV presentations.

4. Alan Markow

Alan Markow Agent

Agree about the make-up issue, and imagine how bad those local news sets will look in HD.
    Last night was in initial hockey game on HDNet, which I watched until CSI came on. CSI has to be one of the best looking shows on TV. Those night shots of the Las Vegas strip are astounding in HD. What a treat! There are a number of sources of information about what's on, including www.hdnet.com and www.ilovehdtv.com.

5. Jeffrey P. Barone

Alan,
    I live in the Cambrain area, very close to you. I have delayed getting an HD decoder for my HD ready TV because I'm afraid that we are so close to the Santa Cruz moutains that the OTA reception will not be good. What kind of antenna do you use, and do you have it mounted on your roof? Are you able to receive ABC and CBS? Thanks.
    Jeff

6. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Is there any way to receive OTA broadcasts using internal antennae? I'm not allowed to use either a satellite or rooftop antenna where I live, and I'd love to get some HD content.

7. Alan Markow

Alan Markow Agent

I am nearly at the foot of the Santa Cruz mountains and get excellent reception of a range of stations with a small footprint outside antenna. I get the three major networks, Fox, UPN, WB, and PBS with strong signals -- and the transmitters are all toward San Francisco. My installer was amazed at the number of channels and the quality of the signals.
    Gary, federal law says you can't be prohibited from putting up an antenna to receive OTA broadcast signals from local stations. Most people don't know this, and homeowner's associations would like to make you think that they have the final say, but the law is on your side. There are some attic and indoor antennas that may work for you. Check in on the AVS Forum for more info. There are several websites they talk about for finding the right antenna to meet your needs. I don't have the names right now, but I'm sure you could find them on the forum or through a web search.
    HD is incredible. Some days I watch stuff I don't even like because it's so astounding. Like the first days of color tv. Hope you guys have good luck. Jeff, if you'd like to come by and see the installation, send me a private email and we can get together.
    Alan