What's new

LOTR, Twin Turbo... i mean Towers. (1 Viewer)

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator
As I said long time ago, I give credits where credits are due. If i'm happy with a product I give great reviews. Well I'm happy with my tempest and here is one.

Two of the most intense BASS scenes in the entire movie.

1, Opening of the gates of mordor :D :D

Kinda hit you in the chest doesn't it? I seriously thought the tempest shook the foundation of my house. hahaha haaaa. Quite intense.

2, Flapping wings of wraith dragon flier.

This was quite interesting because, It would pressurize the room and windows and dishes would rattle everytime the wraith dragon flapped its wings. It was like wooosh-shake/rattle, wooosh-shake/rattle. Oh my g00dness!

That's with 65L sealed tempest, probably the worst box for a tempest. If this monstrocity performs this good in this tiny ass box, I fear and loath how it would perform in a ported enclosure.:D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Interesting. 65L is very small. Can you take measurements if possible? I bet it sounds great for music.

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator
Actually it's rather boomy. I had to over stuff it a bit. I'll be converting it soon.

Dan_Gtp

Grip
If I'm thinking correctly, isnt a 65L sealed Tempest tuned rather high, esp compared to a big ported Tempest? My 240L ported Tempest tuned to ~18hz does a pretty good job, but no Chest slapping. Thats afaik due to higher tuning frequency. Though the gates of Mordor opening is full of house rummbling goodness :) I will have to find the drogon flyer scene, andy idea where it is?
Another good scene is ~1:36:00 in when the uber army is unveiled and sent to helms deep. Lots of bass there, and right after when they show Treebeard carrying Merry & Pippen, when he walks there is a VERY LOW note. Weired feeling him walk in the couch :D

PaulDF

Second Unit
We went to see the Twin Towers in the theater. It seemed there was not a lot of deep bass activity througout a lot of the movie. BUT, when the gates of Mordor blew open, my hair seemed to stand up and my scalp tingled. I knew I had to get this movie home to hear it!

I still haven't watched it at home, but plan to soon. I have a few friends that want to watch it here on the "wild" system, as they call it. I'm sure we, as you were, will be suitably impressed. My Tempest is 360L, ported.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I found this amusing.

I finally watched Two Towers and never saw it in the theater. I held out as long as I could for my wife and finally watched it on my own late at night.

The next day my friend came over to watch The Matrix. He never saw it. The matrix sounded very bright to me, missing low bass. So after the movie I realized I never replugged in my sub after a lightning storm we had last week.

So I watched the movie I couldn't wait for without a sub :) It really didn't matter since it was so late at night for both movies, I would have had to reduce it to next to nothing anyways. I found it interesting though that I did not notice it on LOTR. It sounded great regardless where The Matrix sounded horrible to me.

I am planning to watch the two towers again soon with my wife. Now I can't wait to hear some great bass.

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator

Yes it's tuned very high. It has extreme peak around 50-100hz area hense the need for a bit more Polyfil. There is sizeble loss of deep rumbling bass but in my HT room there is sizeble room gain. It helps alot. Also, I believe great mid bass gives you that 'bass attack'. I cut mine off at around 90hz. I maybe converting it to PR sub in the future.

Dan_Gtp

Grip
Yes it's tuned very high. It has extreme peak around 50-100hz area hense the need for a bit more Polyfil. There is sizeble loss of deep rumbling bass but in my HT room there is sizeble room gain. It helps alot. Also, I believe great mid bass gives you that 'bass attack'. I cut mine off at around 90hz. I maybe converting it to PR sub in the future.
Thats cool though. A lot of music may sound better, or at least more what you traditionally hear in car audio systems. I do miss that chest thump from a higher tuned system for sure. Though feeling notes that you cant hear is pretty unreal : )

Thanx for the chapter Zack.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Paul, I thought the same thing about the lack of bass in the theatre. And I think I was in a THX certified room of a 2 year old theatre when I saw it, so it wasn't that I was in a crappy theatre. I guess there's just no way for the theatre to put out as much bass as my Tempest in the much smaller room. Plus I have a feeling the theatrical sound mix didn't contain as much low end info.

Actually the one scene that disappointed me was the horn at Helms Deep. When reading the books I imagined a much more authoritative sound... in the theatre it was more whiny and thin... and it was a little better in the DVD mix, but not great.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i got a copy of TT last year and it blew my mind at how much bass was in it, everyone in my dorm came out over to my room to see what the commotion was about :D

Dan_Gtp

Grip
I cant remember for sure the horns at Helm's Deep, but the Elven horn I remember, the blew it when they came to help. The horn that was blown when they opened the gates of Mordor was impressive. It felt like I was in a hockey arena and the home team scored. Loud :D

OMG a Tempest in a dorm! That rox :emoji_thumbsup:

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator

Not really, It's like a jiggling sensation as if you are sitting on a giant block of jello. Either that or getting sea sick from too much inaudible subsonic bass.:thumbsdown: :D

Still, to each their own.

PaulDF

Second Unit
"i got a copy of TT last year and it blew my mind at how much bass was in it, everyone in my dorm came out over to my room to see what the commotion was about"

Hey Allen, how'd you manage to get a copy of TT "last year"??

You must've meant LOTR;)

Owen, the theater I was in is the best in Edmonton (I think). At West Edmonton Mall. But like I said, when the bass was called for, it was definitely there! I'll see tomorrow night if my Tempest rumbles more often or not. I also suspect I'll have the sub running a wee bit hot. Like 8-10 db:D

PS. how do you quote??

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
Nope it was TT, its all about connections and where to down load it form, i am talking 4 800 meg fiels baby :D,

PaulDF

Second Unit
Correction, Now that I've seen the Two Towers for the second time, I realized that the very explosive scene I previously referred to was actually the explosion at Helms Deep. Not the gates of Mordor.

That explosion seriously shook my house just as I expected it to :D

The dragon flaps were pretty powerful too!

Bob Huskison

Agent
Yes, the explosion at Helm's Deep is amazing.

Then just as I was thinking it was over...one last BIG rock hit and BOOOOM! I felt like Keanu - "Whoa!" :D :D

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator
There is another dragon flap scene near the end in Gondor. I forgot what the scene title was but it starts with "nazgul ...."

w00000000sh shake/rattle and roll:emoji_thumbsup: :D

btw, my friend goes, "Wut the f*** was that???!!!". he's a newbie :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks