LoTR:TT in DLP?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronArmstrong, Nov 27, 2002.

1. AaronArmstrong

AaronArmstrong Stunt Coordinator

Is there any word on whether or not this will
    be shown in DLP format?

Thanks,
    Aaron Armstrong

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Nope. If they were going to show it in DLP format, they would've done the same for Fellowship of the Ring. All three movies were shot on non-digital cameras, and I haven't heard of any films shot non-digitally shown in DLP format.

3. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit

Well Harry Potter & TCOS was show on dlp here in Waterloo, Ontario. Pretty sure they shot that one on film [​IMG]
    The DLP theaters don't sit empty. AFAIK.

4. Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty Stunt Coordinator

Signs, Scooby Doo, Windtalkers were all shot on film and released in DLP this summer. Other film to DLP presentations included Mission to Mars, The Perfect Storm, and a number of others.

5. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

It was VERY well documented that Episode I was shown in DLP theatres and it was shot on film.

The real question is: what's the advantage unless it's shot digitally, or, why would you WANT to see it in DLP? Do your theatres have a history of running awful prints?

6. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Well, Mitty, where I live that is unfortunately true. Even going to Memphis doesn't necessarily mean a crap-free presentation. But I do take pause at a non-digital film being shown digitally. That is simply because I don't know enough about the picture conversion process to know if it muddles with the colors or contrasts. If I can find a well-presented film print, I'll stick with that until it's proven otherwise that the DLP is superior.

7. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I'd almost bet they will -- the Extended Edition of "Fellowship" was shown in DLP at the special fan screenings earlier this month. Someone I know who attended told me it looked incredible, better than a film print, and she had seen the original cut theatrically several times.

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

9. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I saw Chamber Of Secrets in DLP and it was stunning. As an added bonus, all the trailers were in DLP also. They showed the Two Towers trailer and I was blown away at how crystal clear it looked and how awesome it sounded.
    Rest assured I will see TTT in DLP next month, probably in Edgewater NJ.
    Many disagree, but to my eyes, every DLP presentation has been perfect and looked and sounded much better that their 35mm counterparts.
    DLP for me.[​IMG]

10. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Currently New Line hasn't any plans to release TWO TOWERS in DLP.

Dugger

11. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Film is better than DLP, but there are so many variables in film presentation that can lead to poor presentation. Once set up properly, DLP is vastly superior to the majority of film presentaions, IMO. But thats because in most theaters, film presentation is handled rather poorly.

12. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

13. David_SG

David_SG Stunt Coordinator

I saw FOTR EE in DLP - it looked good, a bit more detail in some scenes, but overall, I didn't notice any significant improvement over film projection. I would imagine some theatres will carry TTT in DLP, but I won't go out of my way to check it out.

14. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

15. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

16. Chris Harvey

Chris Harvey Second Unit

I've seen SIGNS and FOTR:EE in DLP, and there are positives and negatives to the presentation. Positives: great sound and really vibrant colors (and of course the lack of rips, scratches, etc later in the run). Negatives: you can still see scanlines occasionally, especially with titling and near areas of high contrast -- a white highlight against a darker background, for example.