What's new

LotR: The Two Towers -- What did YOU think? Disappointed? Loved it? Vote now! (1 Viewer)

John CW

Supporting Actor
The Two Towers seems to have created a huge split in fans that Fellowship didn't. While almost everyone came to terms with the changes made to (the much more complicated) Fellowship of the Ring, people just can't seem to get over the alterations made to The Two Towers.
Are the book lovers taking things too seriously or is the feeling of a "souless" film right across the board? Or are the fans of the novel seeing something the rest of us have missed? Who knows!
Where do YOU fit in?
(I personally could easily have someone watch FotR: Extended Edition instead of reading the novel, but with TTT I think it's definitely a case of "the book is better than the film" -- Which I think is SUCH a shame! Does anyone else think that TTT had its heart and soul sucked out in the film version?)

Please pick one of the following four:
< 1 > - I HAVEN'T read the book and I LOVED The Two Towers.
< 2 > - I HAVE read the book and I LOVED The Two Towers.
< 3 > - I HAVE read the book and was DISAPPOINTED with The Two Towers.
< 4 > - I HAVEN'T read the book and was DISAPPOINTED with The Two Towers.

So, one, two, three or four.
Thanks!
Results (so far) are:

< 1 > - 6 votes
< 2 > - 20 votes
< 3 > - 2 vote
< 4 > - 3 vote

Thanks!
~ Johnny

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
2 - I HAVE read the book and I LOVED The Two Towers.

The nitpickers will either get over it or miss out. Their loss.

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
< 1 > - I HAVEN'T read the book and I LOVED The Two Towers.

Amazing movie! I will definately see this a few more times before it ends its run.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
< 2 >

I'm one of the "nitpickers", but not enough to let it ruin my enjoyment of it. Just now got home from my 3rd viewing.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
2 - I HAVE read the book many times and I LOVED The Two Towers.

I had no problems with the changes that Jackson made. It's not like these films will permanently replace the books so I don't know what the problem is.

chris_m_white

Stunt Coordinator
2- I HAVE read the book and I LOVED The Two Towers

At first I was slightly disappointed with the changes from the book, but after thinking about it the next day I think the changes made for a stronger cinematic experience. I'll have to see The Two Towers a few more times before I know for sure, but at this point I think I prefer it to FOTR: EE.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’ve read the books many times. As far as I’m concerned the changes were of no consequence, as the movie has not altered any of the intent (or at least as I perceive the intent) of the books, and of Tolkien.
In my opinion, those who insist that nothing be altered, don’t want a movie, but rather a visual representation of the books—a far different thing. The Harry Potter movies spring to mind as prime, current examples of this type of depiction of a book on film. There is no question (in my mind) which approach produces the most satisfactory results. Of course directors who don’t follow source material slavishly, and don’t succeed are open to severe criticism, but in my opinion, Jackson has succeeded handsomely.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Read the book far too long ago to remember (or care about) what's been changed. As good if not better than FOTR. Incredible movie.

Patrick Zapatka

Stunt Coordinator
< 2 > - I HAVE read the book and I LOVED The Two Towers.

While some changes did raise an eyebrow, I was really overwhelmed by this film. Much grander, much darker than the original.

Two qualms I had were the pacing (dialog scenes were very slow) and the book ending should have been used (to create a cliff-hanger ending).

Amazing film...

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Much like Chris White above, I was a little taken back by the changes. But upon reflection, I came to realize that I enjoyed the movie much more than I first thought. This was a strange scenario for me. I felt exactly the same about the first movie, but for completely different reasons. When I first saw FOTR, I hadn't yet read the book. The movie made an impression with me, but it wasn't until I saw it again, that I came to love it.

Flash forward. Going in to the Two Towers, I had read the book. Instead of just letting go and watching, I think I was a bit too distracted with some of the changes and pacing. After reflection, I've come to realize the film was full of moving scenes. I can't wait to see it again. But, I'm still a tad let-down that Treebeard and the ents weren't given a little more attention.

So if I had to pick, I'd go with < 2 > - I HAVE read the book and I LOVED The Two Towers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks