What's new

LOTR: still letterboxed on widescreen tv? (1 Viewer)

AngeloNA

Agent
As I understand it, LOTR and other movies were filmed with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, which is wider than the 1.78:1 AR that HDTV's must adhere to. So does this mean that when watching anamorphic dvd's with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 on a widescreen tv, there will still be black bars on the top and bottom of the screen? If so, I imagine these bars will be smaller than on a 4:3 television, but the image will still be letterboxed, but to a lesser extent?

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Correct. The black bars will only use about 24% of the screen area for 2.35 movies on a 16x9 screen rathern than 43% on a 4x3 screen.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Yep.

Check the FAQ AND PRIMER, specifically a piece titled "If I buy a 16x9 TV, will I get rid of black bars forever?" written by some guy named vince...

-V

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And written well, I might add. Please do consult this resource Vince compiled and edited as a service to our membership. Lotsa essential info in there.

AngeloNA

Agent
hahaha, you know, I figured that there would be some valuable tidbit in the primer regarding this issue, but I couldn't find it. If only I had searched instead for comments written by this mystersious "vince".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks