What's new

LOTR: SE Final run time (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It has passed the BBFC with a final fun time of 218min and 44sec. No word if this includes the fan supporter crawl. No word if this also includes PAL speedup. If it does, then the US runtime will be 227min 29sec.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Cool! Though I suspect that does include the fanclub members' names/credits.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Wait a minute... the fanclub members' names are part of the film?? I thought it was a special DVD feature that people with too much time on their hands can watch just so they can cheer when they see their name?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I suspect that the running time does include the 19mins of 'fan credits'

I thought it was a special DVD feature that people with too much time on their hands can watch just so they can cheer when they see their name?
Oh great, here we go again.

Kami

Screenwriter
No kidding. :rolleyes
Don't worry folks, the fan credits won't interrupt your movie...they will follow the actual film credits. Turn it off if ya don't like it.

Justin B

Agent
The 218:44 runtime sounds like the total length including the extended credits. The original version was ~178 mins including ~8 mins of credits, leaving ~30 mins of extra scenes and ~11 mins of fan credits. The PAL runtime should then be 209:59.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
If you look at the listing in the BBFC's log, they did watch a video source so it most probably was timed inclusive of PAL speedup as they would typically demand they watch exactly what is to be put out to the consumer here in the UK.
So yeah, like Jeff points out, under proper running time the NTSC release will be near ten mins longer.
The original version was ~178 mins including ~8 mins of credits, leaving ~30 mins of extra scenes and ~11 mins of fan credits
I'm not too sure about that. BBFC are usualy spot on down to the last frame with their timings. If you look at the listing for the timed FOTR theatrical release at the BBFC(viewed on film) this is their conclusion:
"When submitted to the BBFC the work had a running time of 181m 44s.
The running time of this film was calculated from the measured length of 16356+6 ( feet + frames )."
Incidentaly they clock the PAL DVD of the thatrical release as 171 mins proving they do indeed justify PAL speedup for home video.
At a touch over 181 mins then, plus 30 mins of footage (which is rounded off, we don't know if it is slightly less than that or slightly more remember) + 11 or more mins of fan credits brings us to 222mins.
I think Jeff is probably close to what the running time will be since we don't truly know precise timings on the footage and new credits. Best way to work it out now is to, as Jeff did, look at the PAL time and compensate for the speedup, work out NTSC that way.
Dan

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I just saw an update! The five disc addition will now include a comfy cushion for the extended version to appease fans' buttocks. :)

Han

Second Unit
And maybe a bedpan, and a monkey to dump the bedpan as well as switch discs in the player really quickly. Then there'd be no interruptions!:D

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
The official website lists the movie as being ~208 minutes.

3 hours and 32 minutes.

Then you can probably add the 19 minutes of fan names.

3 hours and 51 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks