LOTR review at digital bits

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastien David, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

2. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Excellent review... cant wait till tuesday.. cant wait till tuesday......
    And to think a few months ago I thought I would wait till the extended edition [​IMG]

3. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

4. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Strange ratings - gives the audio high marks and then only gives an A.

Leaves you with the impression he is positioning himself so that the EE can get higher marks.

5. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

6. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

I'm waiting for the extended version.
    No way am I paying twice!

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Same here. I have a copy of the Academy Screener to hold me over, but I think I'm camping out outside Best Buy on November 12th. Between Star Wars and FOTR:EE, that day is going to absolutely destroy my budget.

8. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

9. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Man, I could never survive another 3-4 months before the extended cut! I just got the disc on friday and have watched it through twice already, watched the "demo scenes" countless times, and the TTT and FOTR Extended previews a good half dozen times. I don't think I've ever played with a DVD this much in the first few days I got it. And to think this is merely bare bones compared to the EE... [​IMG]

10. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Just finished watching the LOTR 2 disc set. All I can say
    is WOW !
    What I did to Pearl Harbor I will definitely do to LOTR !
    I bought both the 60th Anniversary & Director's Cut versions
    of Pearl Habor, so I am getting meself the LOTR Extended
    version 4 discs set when it arrives in November.
    Meanwhile I will savour the 2 disc set again[​IMG]

11. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

If one DVD deserves an A+ for its audio, it's this one. It is simply amazing. I presume he's reserving his A+ for the DTS-ES track on thr extended cut, which he seems to presume will blow the DD away (even though it will be half bitrate and almost certainly use the same mix).

12. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam

13. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Well Colin the audio on this DVD is THE cream of the crop. It's my new reference disc.

That makes it an A+. Reading the Bits review the description of the audio also sounds like that of a reference audio soundtrack.

The review comes off with marks lower than one would expect - and makes one feel this is because the EE will get the extra marks.

Also the Bits gave TPM audio an A+. FOTR equals - and in my mind exceeds TPM audio - so their rating of A leaves me puzzled.

14. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I watched this 2 disc set and most of the extras yesterday and its EXCELLENT. The sound is the most agressive soundtrack I have heared and the picture it TOP . I still have to watch the sci-fi channel and fox things that were on tv, but everything else is excellent. The preview of the 4 disc set and the 10 minute Two Towers preview had me drooling.

Well thats one dvd off my stack down. Many Many Many more to go :) On to Dinotopia...

capt

15. Louis-Olivier

Louis-Olivier Stunt Coordinator

It took me a while to understand that EE did not mean Edge Enhancement in this thread.
    Please guys, be consistent [​IMG]

16. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

You can always sell this version on EBAY when you buy the next version later. Sometimes you can get more than you paid.[​IMG]

17. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Insider
    Insider

Hi Guys,

I've updated my review slightly to include a few more details about the extended cut. And yes, my grades are designed to leave room for the extended version. I've been given a bit of a glimpse of what's to come and as good as this disc is, the 4-disc should floor you. With the film split over 2 discs, it should look that much better - there WILL be a difference. And how's 7 hours of completely custom created supplemental material, plus audio commentary, sound? I suspect that it will surpass the Pearl Harbor: Vista as DVD release of the year.

One note on our grading. It's true, we do tend to give more "A" grades at the Bits, but this is only because we have a limited resources. We just don't have the ability to review everything, so we tend to review what we like more than what we don't. That skews the grading higher.

Anyway, I'm sure you will all enjoy this 2-disc release. Even with the recycled extras, I'm having a great time with it. ;-)

Best to all of you!

18. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Bill H.

Thanks for all your work. Your review has me eagerly awaiting my chance to watch this great movie at home. Of course, even before the review, I'm not sure I could have been any more eager.

19. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Thanks for the info Bill. Still think your A grade short changes the audio on the current release though. If the extended version is that much better you could always give it an A++. [​IMG]
    At the very least a reference demo remark about the audio on the current release should be in your review.
    I'm sure the video will be improved though on the November release.

20. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer