What's new

LOTR: Return of the King Release Date (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
DVD-R bootleg floating around? No, doesn't exist. Nope. Haven't heard of it. Poor Smeagol is innocent, precious!

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
I love if the collector's edition had one of those black dragon-things (whose name escapes me at the moment) as the sculpture. Those things were awesome in the movie.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have no idea if this is for real or not, but someone on a LOTR bulletin board posted this:

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Man, discussing the actual DVD instead of the gift part of it?
;)

Dome-

Minas Tirith is also be sold as a small scuplt by Sideshow/Weta. Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it, but it makes highly unlikey IMHO.

Maybe it will be an eagle? Not particularly "LOTR" specific unless they include Frodo and Sam in the clutches... But, that is one of the few great creatures in this show that has yet to appear as a Sideshow/Weta sculpt.

Nothing has been done with the dock, nor any other Elvish environment, but I suspect that is because of the required delicacy and detail of those spaces not being conducise to miniatures in polystone: highly difficult to sucessfully render, and probably of damage during shipment would be greatly increased over other pieces.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
That list sounds unbelievably fake, especially considering the Woses were never actually filmed, and Imrahil was not cast at all.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Ricardo: I play the Lord of the Rings card game. A character has been identified as Imrahil, apparently he was ontop of Minas Tirith. There is also a Ghan Buri Ghan card coming out later this summer, so Weta had some involvement with the woses.

As far as gift set contents go, I still want crowns. Sideshow has made great helms and crowns in the past, and I think they can do a redemption promo thing like they did with the Smeagol/Gollum pair in Two Towers. I'd like to see them include a helm of Aragorn's Crown in the box, and then a redemeption code for a Witch-king's Helm. I'd gladly pay the $50 or so for the Witch-king helm.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton

Yeah same here with my HTPC. Can't wait to watch ROTK on my 100" screen! The charge of the Rohirrum is one of my favorite scenes of the trilogy.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Just wanted to clarify a few points:

I doubt the DVD WETA item will be a fell beast since there is already a statue of that.

Minas Tirith is NOT available (or announced yet) as a WETA statue. Maybe you were thinking of Helm`s Deep?

That list of extra stuff for the EE from the guy whose father is working on it: That was on TORC a while ago, and it does sound quite fake given some of the things mentioned. Keep in mind that Decipher has made cards of plenty of things that were never filmed by PJ such as Radagast the Brown, Tom Bombadil, Goldberry, etc, etc....

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Anyone else feel that there's less talk/excitement about ROTK here than there was about the previous two DVDs? I mean, it's only 2 1/2 weeks away, and people are hardly talking about it. I have to admit I feel slightly less excited myself, and I'm not sure why... Maybe it's because there's no EE preview on it?

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

I know I do too though I know why. I thought LOTR: The Return of the King to be a great movie with one large flaw-- half the film is missing. When I watched it I could see gaping holes I just knew were waiting to be filled by the EE. The theatrical version of ROTK is the world's longest trailer and as much as I liked the version I saw, it's still one long tease. It's not as tightly edited as the previous two films which only makes the sensation of missing scenes more acute.

Nah, the big deal in all of this will be the extended edition. When that hits we'll have a nearly definitive version of the greatest literary work of the 20th century. Then may come The Hobbit and, more spectacularly, a special fan version that has all 6 hours of each film.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

Decipher, teaming up with Weta, created additional cards featuring characters that didn't appear in the films. I've seen cards for Radagast, Tom Bombadil, Goldberry, and the Barrow-wight. I'd be willing to bet Imrahil is among this batch. Which means he wasn't in the movie at all.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Ricardo: Yeah, I know, I play the Decipher game. This guy is apparently Imrahil. He must've been in the theatrical release, because Decipher hasn't been allowed to make use of the EE footage yet. Of course, it'll still be nice to see Imrahil do something.

There is also a Glorfindel card coming out in a few weeks, designed by Weta.

Apparently there will also be a small promotion this summer, with more cards designed by Weta. Here's the list:

Anarion
Tom Bombadil's Hat
Radagast's Staff
Ghan-Buri-Ghan
Erkanbrand

Heinz W

Second Unit

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw it. Of the three films, ROTK is the film most in need of the EE additions IMO. So while I'll buy the theatrical cut in a few weeks I'm looking forward to this EE more than the previous two films.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

I also agree. Although I will not be buying the theatrical version. I can hold off until the EE.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
There will be a whole extra disc with supplements (including trailers, documentaries and the music video of the Annie Lenox song that won the Oscar) that will not be on the EE plus the National Geographic special. That's worth buying the theatrical cut in my book...

Scott_D

Stunt Coordinator
Reading through the past posts talk of Imrahil, and looking at that picture on the decipher site, I do recall that that guy was on top of minas tirith and spoke to denethor just before gandalf hit denethor in the face with his staff.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I saw him there in the movie.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
"Imrahil" is identified as Irolas by both the credits and the actor portraying the character, named Ian Hughes. A picture of Hughes can be found here. Check the cast section of the website. He notes that he was originally cast to play Beregond, but the character's name was eventually changed to Irolas. No mention of Imrahil at all.

Sorry, but that card is just Decipher trying to stretch the scope of their game, and, along with the mention of the Woses, is proof that the list posted earlier as being fake, as far as I'm concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks