What's new

LOTR: Return of the King Release Date (1 Viewer)

Looked it up and work (Blockbuster) and we have a date for ROTK....May 25. 2 disc widescreen. No details, but I imagine an announcement should be coming soon.

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
That's signficantly earlier than last year, isn't it? Hopefully the EE will follow suit :D.

Thanks for the info. ;)

edit:
I just checked amazon, and if your info is correct this release will be a whole three months earlier in the year than when TTT was released. Almost to the day.

Seems like the rumours of earlier releases for both versions, in order to cash in whilst hype still remains, are somewhat true.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The Digital Bits is reporting this as well. They have several sources. They're also saying September for the EE. Kind of makes sense, this year they have no new movie to be working on so they can concentrate on the DVD.

New Line has told them there will be no official announcement until after the Oscars (Feb. 29).

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
DigitalBits mentioned similar in today's Rumor Mill. they even went so far as to speculate a September EE instead of November. Here's hoping...

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Pleasepleasepleaseplease let this be true!! :) It would be nice with something to fill the void until the Star Wars OT comes out in autumn.

Blu

Screenwriter
May is great!
Much faster than the last 2 films release dates!
However March would be better IMHO! LOL!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

Since the TE is 3 months earlier, it'd be nice if the EE were 3 months earlier too, i.e. August!

EricW

Senior HTF Member
September? could it be another LOTR/SW showdown? the FOTR:EE and Ep1 DVD came out the same weekend, didn't they?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Also, they have no new movie to PROMOTE, so they're more willing to get it out early. The 2-disc sets were timed to coincide with publicity for the then-upcoming flicks - don't need to worry about that now!

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I finally got to see this movie this past Sunday, and absolutely LOVED it. I thought I would've had to wait until August/September to own this, but if these rumours are true, then I'm ecstatic. It was definitely the best film in the trilogy.

My birthday's in May........hmm......

lol

Its not even rumors anymore pretty much. Our computer systems don't update until the dates are official. i've been working there for over a year and have never had a wrong street date (cept for Ed Wood)

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
We have been sent a what looks to be a shot of the cover from EIV's upcoming UK Region 2 2-disc release of Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King. According to what we have been sent the set will include:

Anamorphic widescreen transfer
DD5.1EX English audio
English subtitles
Revealing The Secrets Behind The Production Of An Epic Adventure indepth program.
A Final Look At Middle-earth & The War Of The Rings: 6 lordoftherings.net featurettes
Lord Of The Rings Trilogy Outtakes & Bloopers
Original Theatrical Trailer & TV Spots
"Into The West" Annie Lennox music video
Electronic Arts' Lord Of The Rings Trilogy video game preview
An Inside Look At The Special Edition DVD Edition Of Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King.

For the cover art confirming these features click here.

Appologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Oh my god, outtakes and bloopers! I can't wait to see some of those, that should be classic.

Chris Marin, thanks for posting this here. Have the R2 theatrical cut DVD releases been essentially the same as the R1s for the first two LOTR movies?

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
The R2's are usually identical to the R1 releases minus the MTV shorts. As EIV either couldnt get the rights to them or they were too racey for a UK PG/12 rating.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Kind of drives it home in teerms of previews that all we get are ones for the final video game and the EE of RotK, there's no preview for the next movie.This is it, come September (if the rumor is true) and the EE, that's it, the trilogy will have come to a close. Bring on The Hobbit!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'd not be surprised if New Line still held the EE until November. That's a much better time for Christmas sales positioning, and since the first two did so nicely, why change that? Without another movie to push, they might as well put out the theatrical edition in May, but an August EE release makes less sense.

That said, I'd be pretty darned happy if it DID come out in August instead of November!

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
an August EE release makes sense if their 3 movie gift set comes out in November.

And there's nothing that says they wont box up the 3 theatrical editions as well.

Who knows?

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

They're probably waiting till after the Oscars so that in the event ROTK wins Best Picture, they'll be able to design the cover labelling it as such.

Edit:

Looking at the back of the Region 2 cover confirms that we WILL have a BLUE keepcase! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks