What's new

LOTR: Return of the King dvd..... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I know it is very early. But, do you think we are going to have to wait until November 2004 to get the extended version? Or since the trilogy is done. They might release it earlier?

FredK

Second Unit
I'm sure we'll wait until Nov, maybe even longer since they don't need it on the market to promote the next movie (the time could be used for additional "now that it's done and a huge success" docu footage).

No way are they going to make it easier for me to skip the theatrical version dvd by waiting less for the EE!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm pretty confident that they'll keep the same schedule since they don't want to miss out on all those holiday sales of ROTK. But I'll also expect that the thing will actually be ready to go many months earlier---Jackson has to be sick to death of this movie by now.:)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well, actually they need the extra time to finish the extra scenes (supposedly will be close to an hour's worth) and get all the supplements together. It will be November

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
But they won't be busy working on another movie so they should all have a lot more time.
And I'm sure that they'll finish the EE cut together with the theatrical one and then shut the entire production down instead of starting to work on the EE sometime next year. With the EEs of Fellowship and Towers it was no problem because all the people were there anyway to work on the next movie - this time they would have to get them back from whatever they'll be doing then.
It should be no problem to get the EE out a lot earlier.
The theatrical version could be out in May/June and the EE in August/September.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Peter Jackson (and a lot of the LOTR team) will probably be hard at work on his next picture, King Kong. I would guess that the DVD will come in the same time-frame. The LOTR movies seem to have incredibly long legs in the theater. Why would they want to hurt that business with an earlier release of the DVD?

But, I hope I'm entirely wrong, because waiting for the EE of ROTK is going to be torture.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I hope we get gag reels on ROTK. after 16 months of shooting there has to be some humdingers in addition to the ones we know about

Lane_S

Agent
When Harry Knowls did his first reports from the LotR set a couple of years ago, he did mention a gag reel that they played at the wrap party - so one does exist. The question is - considering this was a "guy" set and they were all essentially family, how rude did the "gags" get and how far is New Line willing to push the envelope.

The other thing I would love to see on the final set is the proposal film Jackson showed New Line. We probably saw bits and pieces in the various documentaries (such as the forced perspective tests to shrink the Hobbits on FotR), but this is the (I think) 30 minute reel that made New Line decide to gamble the future of the company and say "Why aren't there going to be three movies since there are three books". My understanding is that if New Line had said "no", then Miramax was just going to cut it's loses and kill the project completely - so - that 30 minute test reel has some real historical significance.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Yeah, I'd really like to see that 36 min reel too. And Elijah Wood's screen test would be interesting!

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
I'm curious about all the deleted footage that won't even appear in any of the extended versions. Listening to the commentary tracks of FOTR:EE, there are mentions of a few scenes that were shot but are not in the film. (Such as Elrond talking to Frodo before the fellowship leaves Rivendell.)

JasonTil

Agent
Something tells me that, ultimately, there won't be much that was filmed that won't be in some version of films on DVD.

I'm sure that once ROTK is out, both theatrical and EE, that we'll get a 20 disc "Extra-Special, Super-Duper, Uber-Monumental, Gandalf Autographed, Extended-Extended" version that contains your own pet Gollum.

Rest assured that the EE of ROTK is not the final release of these films on the current incarnation of DVD.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure that once ROTK is out, both theatrical and EE, that we'll get a 20 disc "Extra-Special, Super-Duper, Uber-Monumental, Gandalf Autographed, Extended-Extended" version that contains your own pet Gollum.
How about calling it: "Lord of the Rings: Extra-Special, Super-Duper, Uber-Monumental, Gandalf Autographed, Extended-Extended, Edited-Together, PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Edition!" And the fans won't mind triple-dipping for this puppy, no matter what the price is! ;)

Imagine the case on that thing! A 21 or 22 panel digipack! Or there could be a special 20 disc Alpha case for it! :laugh:

Alistair_M

Second Unit
I'm pretty sure new line are keeping some stuff back for a future release. Its not unreasonable to expect that not all footage was re-inserted into the extended cut. I expect there is a fair bit more - but they are saving it for another release after all 3 extended versions are on the marketplace. Or maybe they'll keep any more footage for the HD-DVD versions to encourage us to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks