1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

LOTR pan and scam outsells widescreen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Moon, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I just read this report over on coming attractions. Looks like the pan and scam is overselling now. Must have to do with Target, Wal Mart and whatnot stocking 90% Fullscreen.
    Looks like Rookie WS will be toast to me.
    http://www.coronaproductions.com/tp/dvd/topten.html
    AAAGGGHHH

2. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Well, you have to realize that Kia is giving out free fullscreen editions with every Sorento...so that could be a contributing factor. And AFAIK, studios don't look at other studios' statistics regaring dual releases...only their own. New Line has always embraced widescreen, and this will not change that...

3. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Jeffrey, it's simply the principle of the matter.

4. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

it is the principal to me. I am not afraid of OAR going away at New Line.

5. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

If you notice that "1" and "2" were "2" and "1" last week, you realize that Widescreen and Pan and Scan are neck-and-neck.

When you think of jerks like Kia, you realize that more people are actually buying widescreen.

6. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

Well, I'm sure everyone who loved the movie and people who love home theater bought it the first couple weeks it was out. Therefore, widescreen was the leading seller. Now the Joe Six-Packers are finally peeling themselves away from their favorite episodes of Jerry Springer to go out and buy the Lord of the Rings DVD. And considering the stores where Joe Six-Pack and his family love to shop mostly carry Pan and Scam.....and they don't care about OAR.

Honestly though, I think it skews the numbers when a lot of retailers only carry the full screen version.

7. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
  8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Also many supermarkets and other retailers who don't normally sell DVDs ordered LOTR. Guess waht they all ordered?

9. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

10. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I find it extremely frightening that all of these people are watching "Lord of the Rings" in Pan & Scan! God, I can't immagine how horrible it must look like that. I know that the movie was shot is Super 35, and that you actually see more on the top and bottom, BUT, whenever there are special effects (to which there are tons in this movie) it becomes pan & scan. I just can't immagine how awful this title would look in pan & scan. It looks so perfect in widescreen 2.35:1; When are people going to learn that OAR is the only way of life!

11. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I have a different hypothesis regarding this phenomenon. The other day I went to pick up the Lord of the Rings DVD at Best Buy. I see it in the best sellers section and they have plenty in stock. Since I knew I wanted it, I just walked over, picked one up, and headed to the checkout counters. I happened to glance down at the DVD case to check the sound format, and in the process saw the word "FULLSCREEN" on the front side. I stopped dead in my tracks and thought to myself, "What the hell just happened here?!" So I went back to the display shelf and much to my dismay, found that the mass of LOTR DVDs was actually half fullscreen and half widescreen.

You're probably thinking, "Idiot, you should've checked for that." Well, these days, I certainly do not expect new releases to be available in P&S, so I stopped checking long ago. It was a simple mistake I suppose.

But anyways, since it happened to me, I think other people might have bought the wrong version, but didn't catch it until they popped it into their DVD player. And since you can't return an opened DVD, they probably had to keep it and didn't want to buy it again.

12. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray

13. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I think there is another reason: I would bet there are a good number of people who would have purchased LOTR Widescreen that are waiting for the director's cut release. I'm one of those.

-greg

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm