LOTR on HD DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DarrylWHarrisJr, Sep 13, 2003.

1. DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr Stunt Coordinator

Could be possible Pete Jackson could put together a complete, unedited cut of the film on HD-DVD. 1 disc for 12 hours of LOTR (extended cuts of course) at standard DVD quality?

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Of course it's possible.

3. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Yeah, I definitely think that it could be done. However, most of us would be complaining because the video and audio quality would suck for HD-DVD standards. [​IMG]

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Uh, are you REALLY gonna sit still w/o food/drink or peeing for 12 hours at a time? Really... I don't think changing discs a few times will kill you...

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

6. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

8. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

9. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

So HD-DVD will be able to fit more information on
    the disc?

I have no doubts that people would snap these up
    if they are produced, but I'll stick with my extended
    edition regular DVDs. They suit me just fine. [​IMG]

10. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

11. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

12. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Even if they are all on one disc, I hope they don't edit them together. I think they work better as 3 separate parts.

13. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

I hope they do this for the God Father saga also. Splitting them up over a few discs is fine with me also. My only complaint with the EE editions is that I only have 5 slots on my changer also as mentioned earlier.

14. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

I read this interesting post over on dvdtalk

Was LOTR scanned at 1k? and the special effects shots based on that...

----------------------------------------------------

post on dvdtalk by Flave

"I had the distinct pleasure of being shown around Weta Digital back in February of this year by an Associate Producer. I saw all the equipment they're using including their very impressive render farm (2000 CPUs!). One of the more interesting things I saw was the scanning machine they use to digitize their film. (I can't remember now if he said it can scan 4 frames/sec or 1 frame/4 seconds -- I think it's the former.) Also interesting was the conversation I had with the bit-head running this operation. Seems that this machine is capable of scanning up to 4K resolution but Jacksom decided that 1K was enough. When I asked why, he said they did some tests where they showed him 1K, 2K and 4K scans and he said that he couldn't tell the difference. So, they went with 1K scans to keep image size and processing time down.
    The point of all this is that since the source material is only 1K in resolution, you will see only a minor visual quality improvement in the HD version, if that. To get full HD quality they would have had to scan the film at a minimum of 2K. And IMO there's no way that they're going to re-scan the film. The special effects were done over the 1K scans and I doubt they would do this work all over again for the HD version. And I believe that there are very few frames in any of these films that weren't digitally altered in some way."

--------------------------------------------------

This does seem to suggest that LOTR will not look much better on HD-DVD. Anyone comment on this?

Hopefully, LOTR is such a big movie for New Line that they'd do HD-DVD with a new scanned source at eg 2k or 4k.

15. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Alistair, I don't think that's true, as about a year ago, somebody had as their sig a comparison between the DVD version of Fellowship and an HD broadcast. The differences were remarkable, it was a detail of the runes from one of Bilbo's maps, and it was astounding.

16. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

There was also an HD version of FOTR aired last year, it absolutely whipped the DVD.

Someone made a comparison using screen caps from HD and DVD, and then upconverting the DVD caps to 1920x1080. However, the comparison was flawed, since he used nearest neighbor conversion (which left the image looking blocky and filled with artifacts), as opposed to the bicubic conversion any self-respecting HTPC would use. However, the page's wroth a visit, if only to drool over the FOTR HD caps [​IMG]

http://www.geocities.com/sircash13/FOTR.html