What's new

LOTR on Blu-Ray: would you buy the theatrical or wait for Extended Edition? (1 Viewer)

4500watts

Auditioning
Real Name
richard
first i love LOTRs. but once i saw the EE version i can't go back to the TE. i don't have a BD player yet, but i'll soon have one. when they release LOTRs on BD i will b there..
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

LOL, you must really love LoTRs since this talk finally got you to come out off lurker mode. ;) :D

One thing. I agree w/ whomever that the one problem I had w/ the EE of Return of the King is how it killed the suspense w/ the extra bits they added showing the undead joining Aragorn. Maybe w/ the extra functionality of BD, they will let us opt to exclude just that bit during playback. ;) :D Well, actually, I guess they could use better pacing for the ending too as that did feel way too drawn out to me. :P Maybe they should do what the book did and provide an appendix version/account of certain items of the ending (along w/ whatever else they might wanna add) -- perhaps, something in short film form for complete closure for those who'd care. Maybe PJ will do that for that uber-version he mentioned.

Hmmm... yeah, I can smell the double-dip for me now... :P

_Man_

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
There's no way New Line won't release Theatrical first, then extended later on BD. Two sales are better than one, and I suspect many who say they'll hold out for the EE will crack when they see those shiny new HD cases of the Theatrical cuts on the racks!

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
I'd buy neither version, as my current extended edition DVDs are perfectly fine.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I remember an interview with Jackson on either the theatrical or extended edition of Fellowship where he states that the theatrical is his preferred version.

Jrf2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I remember that as well. I prefer the EE's of Fellowship and Two Towers, but the theatrical Return of the King, the EE has a couple of pretty poor scenes added back and it's just way too long.

I'd definately get the theatrical cuts on BD, if that was the only thing available, especially considering that my TT:TE disc has a bad skip.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I might have to cave also since I just found out that my TT: EE 2nd disc got scuffed up badly. :frowning:

_Man_

poodoo

Auditioning
Real Name
tom moore

Me too. Since I only go to one or so theatrical movie releases in a theater per year, I justify my entertainment $$$ accordingly. Since I and my SO have substantial disposable income, I'll buy both-but of course would prefer that the extended versions come first to avoid the double.

As I have been replacing my old DVDs with the Blu-ray versions, I've been giving a couple of hundred DVDs away to friends and family-they love me!

htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Ditto. I rented the theatrical versions on DVD as well. Then purchased the extended cuts.

Now that New Line will only author them for Blu-ray there's no reason not to give us both cuts via branching in one fell swoop.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
While I'd get both versions, I prefer the theatrical cuts. The extra stuff on the EEs is nice, but not essential. The pacing is much better in the original cuts.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Unfortunately for me, I lose plenty of DVDs that way as extended family tend to "borrow" them indefinitely. I look forward to some replacements w/ HDM (and double-dip DVDs before now) because of this and have stopped asking my brother (for instance) to bring back some DVDs. :P And no, I don't get much love for it all either... :rolleyes

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks