1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

LOTR - New Line...we want the extended cut!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaViD Boulet, Jan 22, 2002.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Love the movie. But way too short!

Please, as much as the director will allow, please re-insert the deleted scenes back into the film. I'd love to watch them as part of the film (both version via seamless branching) rather than just wade through them as some sort of tacked-on "extra" at the end of the disc.

Most every LOTR fan I've spoken with feels the same way.

-dave boulet

2. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Here, here....extended cut would be awesome but do it with branching technology so IF the extended cut sucks (not very likely) we can still watch the theatrical release.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Most likely it would be spread across 2 disk surfaces.

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

According to The Digital Bits.com:

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yes, almost all fans of the film would buy the lengthy cut (3.5 to 4 hours we hear) over the theatrical cut, or would buy both. Fans have understood from early on that Jackson was thinking of the DVD format to allow for a non-theatrically feasible cut and have been highly supportive of that approach.
    In many ways the fans have cut some slack on missing items in the film due to the knowledge that they could expect to see a longer DVD cut. Don't let us down guys, we love what you have down with LOTR mainly because of the bold choices to really commit to it (length, 3 at once, money).
    The results of such a clear path show on screen (and in your pockets it seems with FOTR at $250m US and climbing). [​IMG]

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I wonder why it is that Warners (New Line) won't consider a theatrical rerelease of longer cuts of Fellowship, or Harry Potter for that matter. After each film runs it's course at present length, A longer cut could generate more earnings for each of them. And I'm sure fans (like myself) would be thrilled for the opportunity to see the extended cut on the big screen.

At least I can look forward to them on the DVDs.

7. GregBarron

GregBarron Agent

I would so love to see the extended version on dvd and would hope it would be at least 4 hours long. Peter Jackson
    is a superb director and I think he was robbed at the Golden Globes...Beautiful who???
    I would also like to see some making of video that really explores the process that went into making LOTR.
    I also hear that it's a possibility of having The Two Towers Trailer on the disc. I hope there are a couple things on the disc to wet my appetite more than I already am for the next installment of LOTR.
    Thank you New Line for putting out quality dvds....you guys are the best....
    Thanks,
    Greg[​IMG]

8. Brion Lydon

Brion Lydon Stunt Coordinator

I would also like to see the longer cut on DVD along with a dts track of course.

Brion

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I guess I should have made it more clear...

I have been aware that *some* form of an extended cut is being planned for DVD. What worries me is that I keep hearing about the "deleted scenes" that will also be included.

What worries me about that statment?

Well...if the deleted scenes were deleted for artistic/film-worthy reasons by the director...then fine...stick them at the end of the film as "extras". But I don't want to get one or two scenes edited back into the film on DVD and then end up with 40 minutes of incredible "deleted" scenes I have to get to via some menu (probably not 16x9 enhanced) that will make me want to cry that they're not integrated back into the film as they should be.

I want *all scenes* that contribute to the film edited back in--period. Only *bad* scenes that should never have been filmed should be left out...and tacked on as "extra" deleted scenes on the DVD.

I don't care if the film runs 4 hours. I want it to run as long as I can. The longer the better.

-dave

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I have to say that since, even before it was shown in theaters, so many of us had heard about all the great scenes that had been cut to make the 3 hr theatrical cut, I can tell you that even after the first viewing (the opening day) walking out of the theater I heard other fans leaving and talking about how they hope to see the "complete" film with the deleted scenes inserted back in on DVD. I was having the same conversation with the group that I had attended with as well.

hmmm...

-dave

12. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

Let's let Peter Jackson finish TTT first to the best that he can. A special extended super version of FOTR should be low on his list of priorites at the moment [​IMG]

13. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Nigel,

I am under every impression that however longer the cut may be, it's been available even before the current theatrical cut became available. It's my understanding that the only reason a longer cut wasn't released was studio hesitation for such a beast in theaters.

Also, I thought Peter Jackson wants the longer cut seen before the Two Towers comes out in theaters.

I may be wrong though. I'll be happy with the theatrical cut, but I really look forward to the longer cut on DVD.

14. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Bring on the longer cut. If they had it ready for theaters they should have shown both versions, giving the movie-goer the choice. I hope they use seamless branching on the DVD, so you can view the full thing or the original theatrical release. I also hope they can get it all on one DVD, with any other extras on a second DVD. Judging by the length of some movies I've seen, along with the length of all their extras it should be possible to get just the movie on the DVD, longer version.

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

16. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

17. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

thanks for the correction!

18. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Second Unit

As long as the dvd features DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 Surround I am a happy man.
    Ofcourse I wouldn't mind having the longer cut [​IMG]

19. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    There are several schools of thought on this.

1) I agree with Jason S. on a very important point. Even discounting the Oscars, LOTR:FOTR has won several awards. I fully expect New Line to make the theatrical cut available, without any changes, to the fans/consumers.

2) I do not believe what we got in the theaters was some huge compromise. PJ and NL released the best, most fiscally responsible cut they could into the theaters.

3) I very much want the "extended" version of LOTR available, with proper OAR, sound, and PACING. I am more than willing to wait until 2004/2005 for this. As long as PJ supervises (i.e. DIRECTS) the DVD version, that will be fine. Again, not at the expense of the theatrical cut. I will buy both. I might never even watch the theatrical cut, but I want it there.

And Craig hit the nail on the head. PJ is busy working Post-production on the next two films, getting ready for pickups, and flying around the world to awards shows. If he wants to take a vacation instead of slaving over a megaDVD, that's fine by me. I know the megaDVD is on the way eventually.

Besides, why the fear? This is New Line. They know a) they have a cash cow, b) they have a GREAT film, c) they must deliver on the DVD. They always have before. I see no reason we won't get the best product each time they deliver.

Take care,

Chuck

20. LisaH

LisaH Stunt Coordinator

Like Chuck, I'd like to see both versions released. The theatrical version now and a big, stupendous, million-hour (okay, perhaps they don't have that much footage.[​IMG] ) box set of all three movies with lots of goodies in 2004. Don't get me wrong, I'm itching to see the extended cut, and not as a deleted scenes' section, but I think the movie is great as it stands and will happily pay for both versions.