LOTR: Movie and DVD News today!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Illingworth II, Feb 19, 2002.

1. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

This was posted today (02/19/02) at AICN by Moriarty, seems he got the info from a recent booksigning by Peter Jackson. Didn't see any other threads for this.

Hey, everyone. "Moriarty" here. I was also at today's booksigning. In fact, I'm hidden quite craftily in that top photo. Peter dropped all sorts of news on those lucky enough to slip inside for the small Q&A (40 fans total) before Brentano's actually let in the bloodthirsty mob outside. For example:

THE TWO TOWERS trailer will be attached to FELLOWSHIP in mid-March, during the final weeks that the film is in theaters. It will be placed just after the last shot of Frodo and Sam and just before the credits. It's over three and a half minutes long.

FX teams are currently shooting miniatures, including Cirith Ungol, which Peter seemed quite pleased hadn't leaked online yet. "It's amazing," he promised.

Peter just finished cutting the new version of FELLOWSHIP that will be on DVD, which should be 30 minutes longer. There are new scenes with Aragorn and Boromir described by Peter as "high drama," and we will also see Galadriel give gifts to each member of the Fellowship. Expect more material about the relationship between elves and dwarves, too, as well as scenes we "don't know anything about yet."

Elijah Wood and Sean Astin will be returning to NZ in June to shoot new scenes that Fran Walsh has recently written involving Gollum, which is the material for THE TWO TOWERS currently being edited by Jackson. Andy Serkis is still shooting his motion capture material for the films.

RETURN OF THE KING starts with the reforging of Narsil in the foundry of Rivendell.

I'm sure there was more, and I'll do my best to think of it and update this story later this evening.

2. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Sounds awesome! It's good to get confirmation from PJ himself regarding the lenght of the DVD cut and just hearing about Cirith Ungol being worked on is enough to give me chills [​IMG] And I can just imagine the sequence of the reforing of Narsil... Man, this is gonna be a long two years!

3. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Thats great news. Cant wait for the DVD!

4. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

There was also this posted on TORn. They called it their most reliable source thus far....

5. Kenneth Vestergaard

Kenneth Vestergaard Stunt Coordinator

It doesn't sound very reliable that the 4-disc set has 2 discs for theatrical (+ extras) and only 1 disc for director's cut (1 disc for a movie 3 hours and 30 minutes long with I would guess both Dolby Digital, DTS, and at least one commentary track??).

Also, it's clear that the director's cut will not be a 4 hour cut, Peter Jackson has recently finished this cut, and it is around 3 hours and 30 minutes long.

This source doesn't sound very reliable to me.

6. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

7. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I can't wait, thanks for the update. I'm so glad they are going to include(whichever release) the scenes where Galadriel and the elves give the cloaks to the Fellowship.

8. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

I was hoping that they shot the scene involving the stone ogres at the beginning of the journey before they went to the Pranching Pony. But having any additional scenes is more than welcome especially with Galadriel. I don't know why the scene with the distribution of gifts was left out.

The release of all these multi DVD's of this film is starting to get confusing. I understand the August "theatrical" release. But will the DVD released in November have the extra 30mins IN the movie or as a supplement??

John

9. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

10. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Kenneth, Peter Jackson has gone on record as saying he is reluctant to call the DVD cut a "director's cut," which has me thinking there may indeed be a 4-hour cut looking in the horizon. Maybe after all three films have been released?

11. Kenneth Vestergaard

Kenneth Vestergaard Stunt Coordinator

Here's hoping, I didn't read that quote but I sure hope it would happen eventually.

12. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

Kami, are you serious? I never saw them. Now I have to go see the movie again, preferably in March when they add the new TT trailer at the end.

John

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jusdging from the content of my "Frighteners" LaserDisc box set, PJ goes all-out on SEs. I'm sure that PJ will come up with something cool and I'll buy multiple copies.[​IMG]

14. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

John, the stone trolls are definitely there, but only standing in the backgraound of one of the scenes, at night. The fact that they are there at all suggests that they must have appeared in a scene cut from the theatrical version.

15. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yeah, I didn't notice the stone trolls either until my fourth viewing. It's the scene after Weathertop, where Frodo is ailing and they go to look for Athelas; the place they lie him down has the trolls in the background. It's almost a throwaway.

16. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean