LOTR in HD...no kidding!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy LaMont, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

3. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

if this is the first 1080i title, I may buy it just for that.

In some ways though, the last thing I needed was another 'must buy' title before christmas.

4. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

if this is 1080i I will go buy my 3rd (yes 3rd, the first one I won at taco bell... sold it, and the 2nd my wife bought me... sold it) And I will keep the almighty crapbox for good this time. lol

5. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

I believe this was posted in another thread before, but this is from the developers of the game......

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

There is no reason to think that LoTR would be true HD. We've heard over and over that games "support HD displays", and it always means 480p. It's not correct, but that's the way that it is currently interpreted in videogame marketing depts.
    When it's vague, just assume 480p, & even when it's specific, remain skeptical (cough *Burnout*)
    -Dave

7. AlbertA

AlbertA Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, if you go to www.lotr.com and browse the forums,
    someone asked if it would support HD, and one of the developers said that It would only support 480p and couldn't go higher because of performance and memory issues.

8. Troy LaMont

I'm skeptical as well, but it's being double checked by Michael Mullis of Next Level gaming. He stated via the link above that this was late breaking news that was minutes old at the time.

We'll see, from all I heard during the good ol' days when Gary King was active, 1080i (or at least 1024 X 768 upsampled) should be no problem for the Xbox even with AA and bump-mapping.

My release date info says tomorrow (9/25), any else hear different.

Troy

9. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

are there any early reviews of this?

10. AlbertA

AlbertA Stunt Coordinator

11. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

I'm still here -- just extraordinarily busy with an upcoming product launch, so I mostly read (and only occassionally post).

12. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I just want the game to be good. [​IMG]
    Dan

13. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

14. Troy LaMont

15. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

It's related to the Xbox in the same sense that a father is related to his son.

You've probably heard it mentioned a couple of times on the internet, but I can't really say anything about it.

16. Troy LaMont

To piggyback on Hamps message, I ran to EB today after I picked up my daughter from school, traded 2 DVDs and an old PS2 game (almost $20 in trade-ins!) - $34.97
    Run home, set it up...SONS A BITCHES! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Not a HD mode in sight, 480p and widescreen! Those fuckers had better get their designations right or I'm going to go postal.
    Other issues;
    • High Definition (HD) display - NOT!! .
    • Full screen anti-aliasing - NOT!! . Diagonal lines looked like 480i on some of the cut scenes and in game as well. Very jaggedy. I've seen hella better.
    For the 10 minutes I played around with it (I had a dinner to go to); the particle effects were nice, graphics were nice (kinda soft looking). The script is horrible (compared to watching the movie) and the voice acting isn't very good IMO. The script was like a 9th grade cut & paste job of some of the better lines of the movie with some very in-your-face type of passages for the uninitiated.
    All this within the first 10-15 minutes of the game. I understand that the game isn't supposed to be based on the movie, but the characters, places and similiarities were too close.
    As an FYI, I have a Mitsubishi 55" HDTV, ISF calibrated and my Xbox is hooked via the HD pack and high-end component video cables. Understand also that I had high expectations that this was going to be HD, it wasn't so I was pissed. I'll give a more indepth whirl tomorrow (and this weekend).
    Troy

17. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Shit that kind of worries me. I dont know if I'll have the strength to resist this, simply because it's LOTR related. I'm a geek, I know![​IMG]

18. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The developers stated that it was 480p; I don't think it's fair to criticize it for a lack of HD resolution.

-Dave

19. Troy LaMont

No Dave,
    They (the developers) have been touting HD resolution for the past few days (see here http://www.lotr.com/frame_news06.shtml) which is why this post was 'posted'. I guess they don't know HD from a horses arse. Notice they never mention resolution when saying HD. They mostly tie it in with widescreen (ala Fox).
    Updated synopsis:
    Gameplay isn't that great, the camera sucks. I consider myself a veteran gamer (over 20+ years of gaming) and I'm tolerable of most (Spiderman, Resident Evil, etc) but this camera is already making me mad after a few more hours of game play. I zooms in too much when you come around to the back of the player, cutting off the front view. You have to move it left to see right and vice versa. When you move it up and down, it goes up and down but kinda at a slight angle in the process. I hoping my learning curve won't be days on that because it seems like using the camera effectively in later parts is vital.
    The graphics are good, but the voice acting is dull and unintersting and the side quests are sometimes rather kiddy (i.e.Helping a bar maiden carry a barrel of wine from one end of the bar to another. Helping Merry and Pippin steal mushrooms from the farmer's crop. Helping repair a mill by finding a missing part, help repair a gate, etc. There's even one where you can help a NPC make pie by bringing him eggs and honeycomb! [​IMG]
    )
    Graphically (visuals and framerate) I'd give it a 9
    Game play after about 2 1/2 hours 5.5.
    I'm hoping it gets better.
    Troy

20. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer