What's new

LOTR:FOTR back in theaters before TTT comes out? (1 Viewer)

Joel Noble

Grip
I'd like to go see LOTR:FOTR on the big screen before seeing Th e Two Towers. Anyone know if it will be generally re-released at, say, my local AMC MultiMegaPlex in the next month or two?

I remember some discussion about this happening from early in the year, but none of my usual "upcoming movies" links seem to have any information on it.

Thanks!

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading on Dark Horizons that it will be re-released in Australia on November 14th. :) So we are in luck.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
theonering.net
Has a story up today that say that HOYTS cinemas IS showing FOTR in November. They provided a link to Hoyt's web site where apparently more info on this can be found. I didn't follow up on it so I don't know if this is true.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, Hoyt's is an Australian company, unless they specifically mentioned the US.

November's crowded, though; I don't know how many US cinemas would have room.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
There are Hoyts theaters in the US
Yes. I understand that; my brother works in one. I was simply pointing out the the members that might not have realized that the chain is based in Australia and only knew of their US operations that this does not mean the rerelease will happen here.

Which appears to be the case; the link in the story brings you to hoyts.au, rather than hoyts.com. (And, on top of that, they're also showing Alex Proyas's new one, Garage Days! Now, that makes me jealous!)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This is the text from theonering's story

Sinistral writes: Apparently Hoyts is going to re-release FOTR in cinemas on 14 November, presumably to refresh the memories of the viewing public before the release of TTT. I came across the advertisement for FOTR at the Hoyts website
I took a QUICK look at the website and didn't see anything about it.

I do notice now that the web address is a ".com.au" address. Since I've gone to Hoyts theaters in Pennsylvania, it hadn't even occurred to me that this story would apply to the US. If this is for Australia only, the theonering.net has done a pretty piss poor job at researching/reporting on this.

Frankly, I don't care. I've seen it four times in the cinemas and will have two versions of it on DVD by mid-November. For those who would be interested, you can look into this further.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'll be satisfied with the November 4-discer. Still, the Capital Region is dominated by Hoyts theaters, and if the do re-release the film here (as opposed to just their Australian theaters) then I'd probably go see it.

Joel Noble

Grip
I'm in the USA (Denver, CO). I would really like to take my family to see this on the big screen. Yes, I have the DVD (and will have the full set), but that's mostly for the extras. It's Just Not The Same as the big screen. (At least in my house).
My parents missed it the first time, but are interested in seeing it, too.
So -- if anyone catches word that it's going to show in the USA before TTT comes out, please let us know!

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
I found it at the site and it does say that Fellowhip will be playing. Not sure if i'll go again though.
Ok..i'll be there;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Unfortunately, that's probably even less likely since they'd have to strike totally new prints. But they must have a bunch of prints of the original release still around that they'd just have to send out again.

I think it would be a missed opportunity if they did not do a re-release. I think it would add several million to the gross.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks