What's new

LOTR fans check this out. (1 Viewer)

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
Many of you may know of this. I have know for sometime myself, but have not seen it here. So here it is, another movie in the works based on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien.

"This film is being made for and by the true fans of J.R.R. Tolkien. Professor Tolkien has been an inspiration to millions, bringing to life a world forgotten and heroes of lost song. We continually strive to keep the spirit of his work alive in our own."

http://www.ancanar.com/

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
I think they are talking about the fans of the books not just the movies when they say "true fans". The "hard core fan" if you will. They were fans way before the LOTR movies.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I was hoping this was news about THE HOBBIT!

So are they saying the PJ versions are not good and someone else needs to do 'better' versions?

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
It is a movie based on the book Silmarillion. It has nothing to do with Peter Jackson. I myself would love to see PJ do the Hobbit.

"The Silmarillion
by J.R.R. Tolkien

Edited by Christopher Tolkien and first published four years after his father’s death in 1973, The Silmarillion presents the epic tales of Creation and the histories of the heroes of the First and Second Ages of Middle-earth.

These are the ancient dramas to which the characters of The Lord of the Rings look back, and which served as the underlying inspiration and source of J.R.R. Tolkien’s imaginative writing. The Silmarillion includes the history of the rebellion of Fëanor and his people against the gods, their exile in Middle-earth, and their war — hopeless despite all the heroism of elves and men — against the great Enemy."

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
Yes it is an original story, based on the Silmarillion. It will be a good movie. Thats it - noting more. Geez, yes it is a fan film. That why I posted it for LOTR fans. I found out about it reading "Parma Endorion: Essays on Middle Earth"
Quate from the book,"Ancanar, has been inspired by The Silmarillion." Just enjoy.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Okay. I guess we'll just take your word that it's going to be good because...oh yeah, why is that?

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
That is just my opion. Man, I just wanted to post a link to a movie. Why all the crap! I did not ask a question, just posted a link. I you like it fine - if not who cares. This is not a review. I have seen a couple of trailers, and it was my opion that not being a huge budget film that they were doing a good job. That it. Do you have nothing better to do than flame on the forums? (Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question.):angry:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't think anyone preceding Post #9 was getting on your case. Your response to the questions seemed out of whack, so that's why I responded as I did. It's out of my system.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for the link BTW.

It does sound like a neat grass roots project. :b :)

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
It's just your intial post was a little misleading, by stating that there's "another movie in the works based on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien". If that were true I'm sure the Tolkien Estate and their lawyers would be surprised. "Based on" usually denotes an official tie to the source work or in this case author.

One thing about "fan films", in general, that usually that rub me the wrong way is the rampant hyperbole they tend to use in describing said projects. Not to single out "Alcanar", but do they really have 'hundreds of thousands of global fans and dozens of requests for magazine interviews and conventions'? I guess I'm not as up on movie news as I previously believed, but hey, at least they were "humbled" by the response.

Also, if I were a big Tolkien fan I'm not sure this would be something for me. I mean just having your character's names sound a little like Tolkien's ie; Curagon=Aragorn and Laliel=Gadriel kind of makes it look more like a spoof than homage.

But thanks for the link, as long as they're having fun doing it, good luck to them.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The trailer looks terrific, but how is this in any way based on Tolkien's works? It's a knockoff, not a "work based on The Silmarillion". Mind you, that's not meant as an insult. I AM impressed with the trailer, and hopefully the project will be completed, because it certainly looks appealing. But it's no more Tolkien than D&D is.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Since it is set in Tolkien's world, Middle Earth, it will automatically be based on Silmarillion, since this describes much of the mythology of Middle Earth.
Remember Tolkien did not only create the story of the Lord of the Rings, he created the entire world in which it was set. Therefore it is indeed very possible to make a spin off that is still based very much on his work.
Therefore it is based on Tolkien's work, his world, as a D&D setting in Middle Earth would be...

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
It's not actually set in Middle-earth, nor are the character names actual names created by Tolkien. It's a knockoff.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Cool, thanks for the link. Keep an eye out for this one on the indie scene. Hopefully it can go somewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks