What's new

LOTR & Epsode II Laserdisc ? (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
While we are at it, why would anyone want TPM and AOTC in LD? A bad movie is a bad movie, no matter which format you watch it in :)

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I'm just concerned, why would we want LDs of Episode II and FOTR, when the DVDs will look better? And it will most likely sound the same too. As for aesthetics (big badda-boom boxsets), I thought it was the presentation of the film that mattered. And besides, the 5disc FOTR boxset looks gorgeous.
I'm only really interested in LDs which have good extras or movies not available on DVD. As for a wish of "consistent" formats.. pah. There is a format which has all the Star Wars movies thus far (and will include Episode II), VHS. If you want the best quality, then LDs for the OT, and DVD for the PT. It's a shame the PT isn't out on DVD, but I'll get over it.

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
Slightly off topic , but am I the only one that doesn't really care if the OT comes to dvd since it will most likely be the SE's or whatever he comes up with in the next few years? If we knew for sure that the OT was coming to dvd in it's true form I'd be chomping at the bit for them.

I have the OT and SE's on laserdisc. Yes the SE's look better, but when I want to watch ANH, ESB or ROTJ I pull out the thx editions instead.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't "End of Days" one of the very last LDs made for a US film?

When I watch the Pod Race on the DVD, it totally messes with me because I'm so used to the Pod Race on the LD which I have used a demo for subwoofers for over a year now. I don't really like the new additions of the Pod Race on the DVD, the damn race is long enough on the LD, why draw it out any longer?

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
Agreed. The only deleted scene worth a shit on the tpm disc is the air taxi ride and the only part of that scene I like is where Anakin turns around after hearing Qui-Gon say he needs to speak to the council. I love the musical cue when he turns around. The deleted pod race scenes should have stayed in the deleted scenes section.

Has no one at Skywalker Ranch heard of SEAMLESS BRANCHING!!!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The idea to extend the podrace was a good one, but the 3d models for some of the added racers were not as polished as rthose in the original release.

And I'm glad they left Rats Tyrell's family in the deleted scenes section. Talk about silly.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. The only deleted scene worth a shit on the tpm disc is the air taxi ride and the only part of that scene I like is where Anakin turns around after hearing Qui-Gon say he needs to speak to the council. I love the musical cue when he turns around. The deleted pod race scenes should have stayed in the deleted scenes section.
Speak for your self!

Gruson

Second Unit
I too am used to the Pod Race on the LD (theatrical cut). The Pod Race on the DVD is horrible and WAY too long. At least Lucas did not butcher the Maul fight :)
Oh, I still say TPM LD sounds better than the DVD. :D

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Getting back on topic (!!), since Pioneer has essentially ceased manufacturing laserdiscs players, don't hold your breath for any new laserdiscs. The core of the DVD world were laserphiles. Since DVD is cheaper and looks a helluva lot better and now has a hugh profile, LD is dead. Live with it, or collect it. If you have to collect it from scratch (hardware or software), it's buyer beware.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lucas stille hasn't released a DVD quality DVD of a STAR WARS film. The PM DVD does not look better than the LD and sounds decidedly worse. I don't care what Lucas does anymore. I really felt ripped off by the PM DVD. BTW, the only LD's being pressed in Japan are a few domestic TV shows and that won't go on much longer in all likelyhood.
The way Lucas has treated his fans, it serves him right and makes me smile that folks are getting SW LD's and he doesn't get a cut!:)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Umm...the anamorphic DVD looks much much better than the LD in my opinion. And the mixes on the LD and DVD are the exact same, the DVD is just recorded at a lower level. Bjoern did a case study on this and had graphs to prove they were nearly identical mixes.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I also owned the Japanese LD,it was avarage even in LD standards,not even close to the DVD,even viewed on some super duper LD player.

As for the soundtrack I thought that the DVD had more finesse,but I'm the first to admit that the human auditory system is less then reliable to make objective judgements,see Bjoern's report.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Sean, you've got an equipment bias preventing or let's just say won't allow the LD to equal the DVD, visually. I don't think I do. When I was comparing the two formats DVD got either the RP91 or 9000ES to represent the format. I can't remember which for sure, proably the RP91...? In fact, it was the RP91. That was when I had the LD-S9 & HLD-X9 both in the same system for about 4 months. Both, the LD-S9 and HLD-X9 played the film as well as the DVD. I'm not so sure, but the S9 might have had a slight edge over the mighty X9? No merde!
I went to the spots on the DVD that had bad dot crawls. I checked the scenes on the LD and they looked substantially the same to me. Anamorphic or not, the real resolution looks no different. As for the sound, you don't have to go far in the film to find a scene where the sound was declawed. How about when a hoover tank goes over Jah-dude and his Jedi saviour. The DVD sounds like a hoover, vacum cleaner flew over. It doesn't matter how much you spin up the volume, it ain't the def jam.
The LD sounds like the theatre presentation. You know a subwoofer testing craft just went over. It's like, oh, my sub goes that deep, auh deep.
The point is 2.35 to 1 LD's almost never compete well with anamorphic DVD's unless they're one of the about eleven anamorphic LD's or a Muse LD. But this one does. It shouldn't. I'd say the DVD of SWPM is a dog that only hunts half-heartedly. If a DVD of it can't look any better, I'll eat my hat. Actually, I'm not wearing one, but I'll put a very small one on.
I think Lucas down-rezed the DVD. It's like a theory that fits the facts. I believe that he doesn't think you and you and you deserve a better copy. The DVD is poofy compared to the LD IMO. I know it doesn't look that way to everyone, equipment bias again! I have a real good idea of what the equipment biases are. I doubt many people have seen SWPM on as many players as I.
HLD-X9, LD-S9, CLD-99, CLD-95, CLD-79, CLD-59, CLD-52, Denon LA-3500, Denon LA-3100 and I'll get around to watching it on the Panasonic LX-1000U sometime.
I like using it as a test disc for the audio, obviously. The real test with it is which players can clean up it's slight veil of video noise and suck the colour out of it. Colour just as good as the DVD's is in there. The Nipponese duo proves that. They shouldn't you can say, but they do. Lucas short-changed the DVD, yes way bill, totally!
The DVD should be better atleast visually. It' not. It's a dog.... Best wishes from Laserland!
PS- Mattias, what do U think? U blow this stuff up bigger...What say U? I know U will read this of all threads! :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Oh boy here we go again!
Rachel's "explanation" inspires me to quote a line from "Titanic" but I must resist!:D

Users who are viewing this thread