1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

LOTR & Epsode II Laserdisc ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Fernandez, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Richard Fernandez

Richard Fernandez Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Is there a chance we'll see a Japanese print of The Lord of the Rings or Episode II Attack of the Clones on Laserdisc.
    Later,
    [​IMG]

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Is there any particular reason you'd want to? Do you not own a DVD Player? (most HTF members do)

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Carl, I think he is in the pack of LD collectors that think LDs sound better than DVDs in some cases. I can attest that PCM LDs sound better than Dolby Digital DVDs (but I don't own any Dolby or DTS LDs, so I can't rate that aspect).
    LD is dead. I think the last one was pressed last year sometime. Question answered. [​IMG]

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Any chance of getting Snow Dogs or Max Keeble's Big Move on laserdisc since Disney thinks the family audience only wants pan and scan on the DVDs?

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I don't think laserdisc plants are open anymore, not even in Japan.

6. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. I'd love to see Fellowship in a huge Laserdisc Box because they just look so much cooler than DVD Box Sets. As for Star Wars, I'd want Episode II because I own all the rest of the films on Laserdisc. It'd be nice to have the entire saga on one format, instead of spread out over 2 formats. I can only hope that Episode II will make it, but not very likely at all. May the force be with you.

AJ Garman

Keep it secret, keep it safe.

7. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Since quite a few of us are being forced right now to purchase our first LD players just so we can view the Indiana Jones series and the Original Star Wars Trilogy on a decent format at home, I really do believe that Mr. Lucas "owes" us a Japanese LD of Episode II.

Those of us that came over to DVD from VHS have vastly upgraded our equipment during the past five years to the point that we can no longer tolerate viewing our VHS Widescreen Star Wars tapes. Believe me when I tell you that every flaw of the analog VHS Widescreen format is magnified on a 16:9 FPTV system. We are therefore being forced at this point to scrounge for used LD players and Star Wars discs just so we can view these films on our upgraded equipment.

IMO, since Lucas, for all intents and purposes, is requiring HT enthusiasts to own LD players in order to view his older movies, he should continue to support the LD format until his catalog titles are available on DVD, D-VHS, or some viable format other than VHS.

8. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    [​IMG] ...you're so right Joseph. Also, those of us that have the laser version of Star Wars-The Phantom Menance have the the original theatrical version...the DVD is not!!! [​IMG]

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

10. Michael St. Clair

Laserdisc may be dead as a format for new releases, but the hobby is alive and well.

I wonder if there may at least be one plant still going out there to reprint discs for educational kiosks and such. There are a lot of custom authored titles out there for such markets, but I assume they have been mostly

Wasn't there a CED of 'Return of the Jedi' that was pressed really late to satisfy collectors? I can't remember.

Anyhow, I wouldn't buy a laserdisc of Episode II or LOTR...my laserdisc buying is now limited to old music titles, Criterion discs and such that may never see the light of day on DVD...of which there are thousands. The last 'new' LD I bought was Saving Private Ryan...because it came out months before the DVD.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind if Lucas skipped current DVD for the original trilogy and went straight to D-VHS. That would be sweet!

11. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    I'm a big LD fan. I'd buy both of those if they were released.
    Why? I'm a big fan of good ol' two channel PCM audio. Dolby Digital 2.0 and downmixed 5.1 are nowhere close to lovely, beautiful PCM. Mmm mmm laserdiscs.
    Plus, since the format ran dry a few years back I've been able to double my library for very little, and dammit, it's fun to be eccentric and collect things that no one else does. [​IMG]
    That said, I hadn't really noticed the death of LD because there had been so few recent titles that I really wanted to buy. I'd want Moulin Rouge, Magnolia, maybe a few others. Memento. Three Kings.
    Either I'm getting old and crotchety, or recent movies are getting worse.
    -Aaron

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

13. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

14. Terrell

Terrell Producer

15. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. Just to make things clear, I have been collecting laserdiscs before DVD was even available. Therefore, I just want Episode II on it so that I can have a nice and complete collection of Star Wars on laserdisc. When the DVD comes out for EPII, and the OT for that matter, they most likely will have stuff added in just like the Episode I DVD. I love having the version I saw in the theatre. Also, the Dolby Digital EX sounds better on the laserdisc. Does Lucas owe it to us to release it? I think he owes it to us that have bought it over and over again on every video format. While we're at it, let's request Episode I on Beta. [​IMG]
    AJ Garman

16. Anthony R

Anthony R Stunt Coordinator

Regarding the theatrical cut of TPM, only available on the LD, there is actually one snippet of footage that is not on the DVD-- the original establishing shot of Palpatine's apartment building immediately after they arrive on Coruscant. Of course, on the DVD it's been replaced with something better: the Air Taxi sequence. But still, there is technically a brief shot that is on the LD (and VHS) that we'll never see on DVD.
    Maybe we could start another petition. [​IMG]

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Once the PS2 made a DVD player affordable in Japan (decks were 6-700 easy) LD died a VERY quick death. When the Japanese pick up a new fad, the old one croaks in a matter of weeks. Box sets that were previously IMPOSSIBLE to find were stacked to the ceilings in used shops.

LD is pretty much officially dead. (It was great, RIP)

18. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Well, the key to your statement Aaron is that Lucas didn't make you buy all of those different versions. You did that on your own just like I did. So again, he really doesn't owe us anything. We'll get AOTC on DVD this year. We'll get Episode III in a timely fashion as well. And we'll eventually get the originals on DVD. Let's just hope he wises up, changes his mind, or whatever the case may be, and includes the theatrical cut of the originals on DVD. Maybe Spielberg, Coppola, and Howard will tell him it's wise to put both versions on there. And it's very easy to do. But it's really to early to start wondering what were gonna get on those. Lucas has never flatly said we won't. There was a sticker and a commercial that said own the originals for the last time. Maybe he changes his mind. Who knows what the case is. We'll just have to wait and see.

19. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

20. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Besides, when Ep. III comes out in a couple of years, how do you think your chances are then for a LaserDisc? Think about it...

-Christian