What's new

LOTR EE vs. Ultimate Gift Set (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Michael,
No worries brother, sorry to have sounded a little rude there :)
cheers!
Josh

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
There's no guarantee there -will- be a set of bookends of two towers, that's complete speculation. It'd be nice, of course!

But don't be surprised if the TT and ROTK extended editions are just DVD sets, no gift sets. The gift set of FOTR provides the bookends and then the EE disc "books" go between them.

Just something to think about..

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Josh my thinking goes the other way - I'm pretty sure each set will some sort of collectible. TTT - seems a natural for bookends based on Orthanc and Barad-Dur.
ROTK is more interesting. Not sure what they will choose here.
BTW - since I am fortunate enough to be getting this at cost naturally I'll be getting the boxset. Actually I was able to get one of the box set and the 4 disc version for less than the cost of box set itself.:emoji_thumbsup:

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Bought the 4 disc myself. I am a huge fan of LOTR, but all I really care about is the film. The extras on the EE look very nice as it is, and I didn't feel $25 was worth it for some cards and bookends that I wont use.

-Dean-

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I suppose all the people who bought the 5-disc because they think the Argonaths will make great bookends for their LOTR DVDs will be disappointed when they realize that the Orthanc and Barad-dûr bookends next year will be so much cooler!
Um, first, how do you know that these will be the bookends? Or the fact that they will even include bookends next year? Have a link where New Line says this?
And what? Because I have the Argonath bookends I won't be able to buy the TTT ones? Just because you can't afford both, don't presume to know what I'll be "disappointed" by. I suppose you will be disappointed next year when I have both the Argonath book ends and the TTT ones, which is much "cooler" than what you have!

RafaelB

Second Unit
Don't forget that there's a $10 rebate on the gift set if you've aleady purchased the regular 2 disc set...:D
Rafael. (who paid less than $40 for his gift set)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Is the Gift Set limited edition at all or could I buy it in a year or whatever? Anyone know if there will be some black friday sales for it?

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
If they put out two towers bookends, I'll use one set of bookends for DVDs and another set for books. Not a big problem, as I can always find a use for excellent bookends.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Seeing that I only paid 33 bucks shipped from Amazon for the boxset, I am very happy with the purchase. Factor in the the free movie ticket, and 10 dollar rebate and it ended up only costing me a bit more then 10 bucks to upgrade, plus I get the new National Geographic disc, excellent bookends, and some trading cards (which don't really mater to me). I am looking forward to the new film and future boxsets. This is one excellent DVD package.

J

Joe D

Supporting Actor
ROTK's bookends could be the White Tower and Mount Doom, that'd be pretty cool.

BarbaraN

Grip
Thanks so much for all of your great replies. Decided to go to Best Buy and take a look at the gift set. They did have a few left on the shelf. Looked at the gift set, then back at the regular extended edition, then the gift set again...sortof a silly thing to do. I thought that the bookends looked nice but felt that I didn't really need all of these extra goodies at this time. I still might change my mind since I still haven't deboxed my regular extended edition (haven't had time to watch). Best Buy was quite well stocked with 4 disk sets but seemed like there were only about five gift sets remaining. By the way, all of the gift sets had the free movie label on the front so I would assume there would be a movie coupon inside. I noticed posts by others that they received a gift set which didn't include the movie coupon.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I suspect that by the time all three movies are released on DVD (approx. 12 discs), we may see yet another release of those bookends, or better yet, a whole NEW gigantic boxed set to offer all 12 (or maybe even 15) discs packaged together!
I'm holding out for the 1000 disc set, which should come along about 6 months after The Return of the King is released on DVD. :) Just kidding, I picked up the gift set but didn't get a movie ticket. Must have been a limited number.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
My main justification for going the four-disc set route over the gift set came down to one thing: money. I'm on a pretty tight income right now and I'd been putting back money for a couple of months to be able to buy FOTR:EE and AOTC on their day of release. To me, the difference between 26 bucks for the four disc and 48 for the gift set was a big one (i.e. 22 dollars I could spend for much more necessary things), and I couldn't justify spending 22 dollars more for something at that point in time.

Would I have liked to have gotten the gift set? Yeah, without a doubt. It looked really nice when I saw it at Wal*Mart and seemed to be well worth the money. My billfold just wouldn't let me get it. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.