LOTR-Buy a DVD Credit????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Behlendorf, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Jeff Behlendorf

Is this totally wacky or what?. It comes from the IMDB Studio News section today:
    You, Too, Can Have Your Name In The Credits
    As if closing credits on movies weren't long enough already, director Peter Jackson is offering fans of the upcoming Lord of the Rings the opportunity to add their names to the DVD credits for $39.95. (They also receive charter membership in the Official Lord of the Rings Fan Club and goodies including a bimonthly magazine, lithographs and the opportunity to buy "limited-edition collectibles.") In a statement posted on the film's official fan site , Dan Madsen, vice president of Decipher Studios, ballyhooed: "This is an announcement unprecedented in cinematic history and of immense importance to The Lord of the Rings fans. ... By agreeing to place fans' names in the credits of the films, Peter is demonstrating that he truly understands what it means to be a fan of this brilliant property. This is the first time a director has acknowledged the contribution of fans to the creation of a film in this way." Decipher Studios describes itself as "a worldwide leader in the collectible card game industry and fan club industry."
    They'll have to issue one disc just for the credits...

2. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Well, I'm sure that I'll be considered a major loser [​IMG] but when I heard about this yesterday I immediately signed up. As mentioned above you get more than the DVD credit with the membership and I'm enough of a fan that it was worth it.
    Okay, enjoy making jokes at my expense [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You want to upgrade again?!!

3. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    I wish I could mimic the tone of voice of a co-worker who asks, "Who do you like better...Frodo, or Bilbo?"

4. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

Interesting method of covering the films' cost...
    Daniel L

5. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Interesting? More like ingenius! They could easily make 12-15 million on this, and have SUPER long credits.

6. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

I hate to be this nerdy, but how could I pass this up? I just hooked up!!!
    I LOVE HTF
    Marshall

7. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

Hooked myself up right away for all three films. Booyah.

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Didn't Dan Madsen used to be the president of the Star Wars fan club? I'd be pretty skeptical of anything he touches after how they royally screwed up the Star Wars Celebration in Denver '99.
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List
    "The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

9. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I will laugh when the projector gets turned off half way through all the names [​IMG]

10. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Could someone post a direct link please? I couldn't find this on IMDB... thanks.
    ------------------
    I AM CANADIAN!

11. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

12. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

13. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

14. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Carl, imagine a small city of Star Wars fans (20,000 - 30,000). Now cram them into 3 buildings. With 2 entrance/exits per building. This was the first official Star Wars convention, and it was hellish. A complete total lack of planning. There were 2 memorable things from the convention: lines & rain.
    My favorite story: there were numerous rumors that there were "convention-only" figures for sale at the the store, which was in the main building. Oddly, it was impossible to find someone that had actually been in the store, so there was no way to confirm this. Anyway, after a 2 hour wait to get in the main building, there was a 6+ hour wait to get in to the store. Once in the store, the only way out was to leave the building. If you wanted back in, it was another 2 hour wait! We couldn't find anyone who had been in the store because they all got kicked out!
    Also, David Prowse (Darth Vader) was in town, and wanted to appear at the convention, but was turned away. Apparently it was an "Episode 1 celebration" and the original trilogy wasn't part of it.
    Wizards of the Coast (I think that's the name) recently bought the fan club. Hopefully they are more organized. I can't imagine anyone being less organized!
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List
    "The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

15. Jonathan Halperyn

A similar promotion was run for Shadow of the Vampire recently. For 50$ you got your name on a list of "Virtual Producers" on the DVD, tickets to an advance screening of the film in NYC, the theatrical movie poster, and the DVD when it was finally released.
    And yeah...seems a pretty good way to raise a little extra capital for the film...
    Jonathan
    ------------------
    Tracker List

16. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I know I'm ressurecting an old thread, but I actually just heard about this today and thought it was a pretty cool idea. My question is, will the names of the people appear in the credits at the end of the movie, or will they just be listed in a seperate area on the disc?

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Sounds like the movie went over budget. Interesting way to recoupe the cost.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]