What's new

LOTR broke my sub!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

John Doran

Screenwriter
i'm not going to make any claims about the rest of the movie, but the balrog scene in the DTS version has WAY more bass in it than the DD release; i must have watched the first roar of the balrog about a million times, and in the DD release there's almost NO bass at all - i was really disappointed when i first heard it 'cos that's the part i was most looking forward to hearing at home.

so when i fired up the DTS version and cued the balrog, i almost wept at the amount of bass - it was like a huge chasm opened up under mids and highs; i had to back my volume down to -15, and clocked the roar at 106db (i live in an apartment and it was late).

the rest of the khazad dum scene had more and louder bass, too.

my 2 cents.

- jd

Brae

Supporting Actor
I think we may need to start a movement to get the movie houses to place warnings or disclaimers on its DVDs to let us newbies know when disaster it attainable if not cautious. :)

Brae

Supporting Actor
Now that's just silly. Playing at reference level I would have to mention would have sufficient play-room to handle the engineered audio composed at reference level.
I know, I know, LOTR has several scenes above reference level, but my point was not to post a WARNING here, as the readers here already know about this. Heck, I got that warning the day the original DVD was released when 2-3 people on AVS reported their subs got fried!
I meant something along the likes of AVS, HTF, and a bunch of their members jumping on the bandwagon to forward a friendly petition for the eyes of studio exec's to see and consider an appropriate label warning on the DVDs.
You knucklehead! :D

Brae

Supporting Actor
You had to bring politics into this? Nah, she'll just claim she invented the subwoofer, hehe.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I think we may need to start a movement to get the movie houses to place warnings or disclaimers on its DVDs to let us newbies know when disaster it attainable if not cautious.
That might not be a bad idea. I have some stereophile test CDs with some demo tracks of amplifier distortion, jitter, sawtooth response etc etc and they have those tracks clearly labelled with words like "warning - playing these tracks at loud volumes could cause permanent speaker damage". I think they should do the same with DVD's. I almost dstroyed my mains (with full range signal) on a Monsters Inc. track. Now I keep the bass out of my mains.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
The exteneded version of LOTR rocks and my SVS was humming all the way through!
Is it jsut me or when Sauron's 'shockwave' spreads out in beginnning of the film that the bass shoudl have been allowed to fully extend? It's so close to getting that great low end/feel but then suddenly they cut it off...or maybe I have to port block :)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Tim:

Don't bother with the port blocker - your SVS isn't missing anything - that reverse sweep "shockwave" never gets below 50 Hz or so. It's quite high in amplitude though.

I agree, it would have been way cool if it dropped down to around 30 Hz at the same amplitude.

Regards,

Ed

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Tim-
Edward is right--Sauron's exploding doesn't actually extend too low at all. It's just nice and loud in the mid-bass region. I remember a while back upon the release of the theatrical version, TV had posted a waterfall on it, or maybe he had just taken a reading and posted it. At any rate, it's cool, but it's not too low.
For some great low end extension, check out the scene where the Nine are riding out of Minas Morgul. Thundering hooves! :emoji_thumbsup:

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The first time I saw that scene I was a little dissapointed because it didn't extend all the say down. Would have been so cool if it did. You can always just use the THX optimode test on any newer THX certified DVD and get the 200-20Hz sweep. That is Low!

sfxjames

Auditioning
Real Name
scott
LOTR broke my sub too, actually in, now I'm realizing just how beneficial it is to have a down-firing subwoofer, thats only 50 watts even at that. 50 Watts isn't a lot, but I have tried 100 watts on a front firing onkyo reciever and I think my old subwoofer just about died laughing. You see my sub doesn't distort like most, it's designed to make you distort. The bass drums into the ground, it does a good job for being powered at only 50 watts. I do have it standing on leggs about 1 foot off the floor, and it sounds great balanced within the room. The pounding is word for word undescribable. For instance on an onkyo subwoofer for I-robot the sound of sunny running in action and the helecopter hovering overhead was impressive also, on my old subwoofer it seems as if the whole system is running in action, and the helecopter is make the floor turn rather than my stomach.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I'm scared. I bought my first sub because I kept hearing

sounds awesome with a real subwoofer.
And now, I hear tales of subwoofers dying by the dozens.

I suppose that without a subwoofer, something might have happened to my mains, but still.

DevinJC

Stunt Coordinator
If you calibrate it properly you shouldn't have any problems Jeremy.

And in other news...
LOTR broke my sub too, actually in, now I'm realizing just how beneficial it is to have a down-firing subwoofer, thats only 50 watts even at that. 50 Watts isn't a lot, but I have tried 100 watts on a front firing onkyo reciever and I think my old subwoofer just about died laughing. You see my sub doesn't distort like most, it's designed to make you distort. The bass drums into the ground, it does a good job for being powered at only 50 watts. I do have it standing on leggs about 1 foot off the floor, and it sounds great balanced within the room. The pounding is word for word undescribable. For instance on an onkyo subwoofer for I-robot the sound of sunny running in action and the helecopter hovering overhead was impressive also, on my old subwoofer it seems as if the whole system is running in action, and the helecopter is make the floor turn rather than my stomach.
Um... er... what?

John S

Senior HTF Member
The demand and expectations have increased for subs. Couple these together and what were once considered competent subs are failing.

My most common HT job in the past year have been replacing subs that are blown or just not keeping up with the increased loads their owners are placing upon them.

I have gone to only supporting subs that can take the heat, more than the subs that truly sound best these days. A sub that truly does both best are usually way out of the pice range of the people I come across.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
John your so right. But once you have a sub that will do it right its like heaven.. Never will go to a theater again and I haven't in over two years. I have friends and family that come over once in awhile to watch a movie and they are just jaw dropped. Most of them are better off than I am. But you think they go home and and get something decent. No they all think they can HTIB and cheap it out and most are happy until they come to my place but even then its not enough to get them to do a major upgrade. I think there are just a lot of folks like my wife for one that could just listen though the speakers on the TV and be happy. Unfortunantly I am not one of them and I don't like mediocre stuff at all.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm running dual 15" subs these day myself.. :)
Veldyne CHT-15 and DLS5000R respectively, I'm in sub heaven at last. I made some changes on my surround power side, and my CHT-15 just could not gain properly as I raised the volume with the rest of the system any longer.
Still sounded great at reference level, but only at reference levels, and even I can't watch at those lovels all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks