What's new

LOTR broke my sub!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
I finally had a chance to turn up the volume on LOTR the other day. During the first battle scene when Sauron's finger falls to the ground my sub bottomed out with a loud clack. Of course I had never heard a sub bottom before so I rewound and played it again to make sure it was the sub. Well it was and after the second bottom, it stopped moving all together. I have a Cerwin-Vega HT-S10A, or should I say HAD a Cerwin-Vega HT-S10A. Actually I called Cewin-Vega and It will be fixed under warranty. Thank god because I am planning to sell it to finance my DIY. I guess I have to be more careful next time.....NOT.:D

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Well if you think LOTR has agressive bass...watch out for the extended edition in DTS ES Discrete. The audio on the Extended version is cut at a more reasonable level..not over coocked. Then when you relax and crank it up it has some bass that is lower, louder, and more sustained than the first version. If you are a sub aficionado..this is a must buy!

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Not to be redundant, but....
Will my PB12 be able to handle the Extended Edition okay?
I don't want to blow up my speakers. I spent a lot of money getting those things half price! :D

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Most of the commercial subs use limiters,and or can't even reach below or around 20hz with usable output.
Velodynes, while they usualy reach deep,but their ultra low distorsion limits[1% achived by servo feedback]are preventing the woofer to put out more as the input goes higher.Essentialy dynamically compressing it's output.
Having said that Im surprised that the CV got fried,since it should have had some sort of a limiter.Oh well I've fried my Infinity HPS-1000 on the TPM LD awhile back so it's hard to tell about some models.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Well if you think LOTR has agressive bass...watch out for the extended edition in DTS ES Discrete. The audio on the Extended version is cut at a more reasonable level..not over coocked. Then when you relax and crank it up it has some bass that is lower, louder, and more sustained than the first version. If you are a sub aficionado..this is a must buy!
Maybe Bjoern could do a Spectra analysis on that so we can be sure on this.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yeah, this movie absolutely rocks. I have a dual sub setup and my subs handled this dvd to pefection. I thought I might have caused some structural damage to my house. There are not many dvd's out there with lower or more sustained bass. :b I love it!

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Actually, most of the BASS on LOTR is at 30Hz and 40Hz, at a really loud levels. By the way, the CV do have a limiter at 30Hz.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
If a movie has too much bass for sub to handle safely:
Adjust sub's or receiver's LFE level control so subwoofer isn't overloaded.
Where's the problem? :confused:
LJ

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The original DD 6.1EX theatrical version of LOTR is much hotter in the bass department than the DTS 6.1ES version. The ring dropping consistently gives me 112-113 dB 10 feet from the SVS 20-39PC+ on the DD 6.1 version. It's not a wonder it crushed your CV sub. That scene extends well into the subsonic range, with room decay taking about a 1/2 second. It's really amazing.

Overall I like the DTS version better - it is cleaner, smoother, has better detail in the surround channels, is less compressed with greater dynamic range, and is not overcooked. Regardless, though, I'm keeping the DD 6.1EX original theatrical version for posterity.

Regards,

Ed

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Edward J M'

I TOTALLY AGREE! At first I was a little disappointed in the DTS ES version. Then I sat back and watched the entire movie again and it was quantifiably better. I think in some scenes the bass plumbed lower and the overall soundtrack was more dynamic. I didn't think there would be that noticeable of an improvement over what I consider to be the reference standard by which all others should be judged....

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Deja Vu all over again.
It's just like BladeII,the DTS version seems to have "less" bass,but I agree the surrounds are more "refined",and the dialog is more inteligable,but I found the DTS just as loud as the DD on this extended version,I didn't compare the original thus far.The funny thing is, Bjoern didn't find any meaningful difference on the BladeII disc between the soundtracks,yet several people including me thought there is some just like I listed above about the LOTR EE.
What you guys think of the pq?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
What you guys think of the pq?
I'm assuming picture quality. In a word fabulous - same great transfer as the original theatrical version.

I will go out on a limb here and say LOTR-FOTR has better picture quality than AOTC.

The AOTC human characters all seem to have a slight "soft lens" look to them. But the CG images in Clones are very sharp and clear. In comparison, LOTR-FOTC is sharp and clear with both human actors and CG images.

Ed

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Not to change the subject but how does the DD soundtrack compare on the EE release compared to the DD on the original theatrical relase? (dts aside)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I also think the DTS 6.1 is an improvement. The Sauron death bass seems much smoother than previously. I also felt more immersion throughout the film.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I was also one of those who thought the DTS ES 6.1 soundtrack on the EE seemed to have less bass than the monstrous LFE on the theatrical cut when I watched the first half hour last weekend. Then, when I watched disc 2 last night in DTS ES 6.1, the bass was excellent...much better integrated. The surround effects were awesome.

I agree with Edward regarding picture quality. I think AOTC's picture seemed slightly soft and hazy, and not the reference video everyone is making it out to be (IMHO). LOTR, on the other hand, is bright, clear, and wonderful. (I watch using a Plus Piano 16:9 projector.)

Regards,

Joe

NickC

Second Unit
IS the DTS track louder than the DD track at similar levels? I also have to play the dvd like 10db less then AOTC or just about any other movie on the EE. ANyone else have this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks