What's new

LOTR box set - here's proof (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I just get an error page.
The May 25th date would seem to indicate this should be a box containing the 3 2 disc editions, right?

I don't see anything wrong with them putting them in a box together. That would hardly encourage triple dipping.

EDIT : I just browsed the site and found this, perhaps it'll help:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Yeah, this is no big deal. They did the same thing with the soundtracks. Nice if you haven't bought any LotR DVDs before, but no loss (other than a cardboard box) for those of us who already bought FotR & TTT.

I imagine they'll do a similar box for the EEs.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Thank goodness the box is just a crappy pedestrian looking job. Otherwise I'd be tempted to buy it just for a nice looking box.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I should perhaps have added that I'm not excited by it either! I just thought that given the general liking for LOTR, someone would want to see it ...

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
That box is ugly. I mean, UGLY. Like Liz Taylor on a bad day. I hope the EE box set is classier. Maybe with a big black box to house the three EE's

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I've already seen boxes at BJs and WalMart with the two-disc editions of Fellowship and Two Towers put together, so their having one with all three is no surprise. Just as long as they are not putting together any exclusive material in as well.

Neil

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

Yes, yes it is. But that is a GOOD thing! Why should the johnny come-latelies get the three films in a gorgeous display box? It tells you what's inside the box, and that's about all it does because it is fugly! It pretty much borders on something you should just toss after you purchase.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I hear the discs are going to be plated in gold, and five random discs will come with a special Golden Ticket, allowing the lucky recipient of the ticket to visit Wacky Weta's Magic Factory in New Zealand. Better pre-order now!

DanFe

Second Unit
That's about as ugly as a Star Wars box. ;) Oops, you knew that would come in at some time, right?

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
The coolest thing they could do would be to offer Return of the King Extended Edition by itself OR with a bonus box that would fit the 3 EE's. Add $10 on to the price or something... And then offer a third option of the whole EE set in box.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Not a chance that's happening. Think they want to piss off all of the licensed jewelry makers selling replica rings for $100+ a pop?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Yep. It's just starting to be discussed in the thread about the EE box color.

I guess we'll get an official thread to discuss the offical release information on Monday, right?

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick Larkin Similar to what happened with the Jurassic Box set? I had already bought the first two in their set, then when the third came out I was able to send away for the free fourth disc and box. It was excellent; I was very pleased.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I agree as well Patrick. If studios are going to do a box package it shouldn't inherently hurt the early buyers, at least if its a nice box, maybe a special extras disc as well.

That is if the intent is to repackage the same DVDs with the new release in some type of basic but nice container like Devin just brought up.

Now if there is no special repackaging of all 3 to coincide with the ROTK:EE (basic) release, but only the ROTK gift set and then later a new super duper box set, that's a different thing altogether. Currently it seems like that is how its going to go down.

I don't think any of us would care about missing an EE version of that same crappy box set that Andrew brought up. But it is good marketing to put all 3 together like that to catch those final johnny-come-latelies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks