What's new

LOTR already in hotels?! (1 Viewer)

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
Three months before the video is released? Isn't this a little earlier than normal? Good thing I happened to have the right cables in my suitcase . . . just kidding. ;)

RogerB

Second Unit
They were showing LOTR and Harry Potter where I stayed back in March. I paid $10 to watch HP in pan & scan. :frowning:

Damian James

Stunt Coordinator
It's a pretty widespread thing actually. I used to travel for a living, and I was able to watch movies that were barely out of the theater. I'm not sure how it's done, but they've had some pretty good movies out a very long time before a dvd or tape is released to the public.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
I'm not sure how it's done, but they've had some pretty good movies out a very long time before a dvd or tape is released to the public
It's all part of the product life-cycle of films....there are exceptions, but it typically goes like this:

1. First-run in Theaters

2. Hotel/Special venue PPV = +3-4 months

3. DVD/VHS = +5-7 months

4. Cable/satellite PPV = +9-10 months

5. Cable movie stations (HBO, Starz, etc.) = +12-14 months

6. Syndication/regular cable/TV stations (TNT, USA, etc.) = +18 months-2, 3 years

As you can see, studios can really milk revenue out of successful films from the opening to several years later.

Of course, there are exceptions and these are general guidelines -- plus this is off the top of my head, so I might have missed something, but this is basically it.

BobH

Stunt Coordinator
Not to suggest it, but isn't that a sure source of piracy? (obviously I don't spend enough time in hotels . . .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akstar777
Recent bookmarks