What's new

LOTR 4 disc specs anyone ? (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I checked Digital Bits and DVDFILE.com but came up empty.

Are these specs posted anywhere yet ? Or is still just a rumor ?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The pictures of the packaging are up, it's coming in November. I don't expect full specs until September, or late August

What is known now

Movie split over 2 discs for max bitrate

30 minutes of additional scenes

Dolby Digital and DTS(DTS still tentative but likely)

Anamorphic widescreen

3 commentaries

Book-like packaging (initial press only)

Optional 5 disc set with the National Geographic disc and bookends of the kings statues

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Movie split over 2 discs for max bitrate
This really bothers me. Why is it that people went schizo to get rid of flipper discs, yet this is acceptable?

Yes, it's a long movie, but why could they not just put it on one DVD-18 disc? "Dances with Wolves" was a long movie, too, but it fit on one disc. Is there something about the way that they're doing it that requires two discs? Maybe something like one disc with 5.1, the other with DTS?

I'm still buying it, as well as the August widescreen release (simply because I won't be able to wait until November), but this seems to be a retro-inconvenience that should not have to be.

Kami

Screenwriter
It's 3.5 hours long.
Let's also look at the possible audio tracks
DD5.1: 448Kbps - 705MB
DD2.0: 192Kbps - 302MB
Commentary Track 1 - 302MB
Commentary Track 2 - 302MB
There is 1.6GB of space there for audio.
Now if the other "rumors" are true (DTS track plus a third commentary track), we add on an additonal 1.5GB for a total of 3.1GB for audio.
This leaves less than 6GB (or 7.4GB if there is no DTS) for 3.5 hours of video! An average video bitrate of 3.9Mbps. Not enough in my opinion! :thumbsdown: Also I left out any space menu's, cast/crew bios, and other misc. stuff might take up.
As for DVD-18, that's an annoyance to me. I want some nice disc art please :)
*edited for a math error

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
DVD-18 would be a flipper, so it's the same thing

DVD-18 has a high defect rate, and everyone except MGM seems to be phasing it out

If you want the movie in 1 disc, buy the theatrical cut in August

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Question. The 4 disk is supposedly in the "leather" book. The 5 disk version has this same leather book inside a bigger package with the two statues, where is the NG 5th disk?
Link Removed

Kami

Screenwriter
I'm guessing it's tucked away in the box somewhere in its original packaging (snapper case), or maybe a sleeve?

Just throwin out guesses.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
"Dances with Wolves" was a long movie, too, but it fit on one disc.
Wasn't the DTS version split onto two discs?

Anyways, as others have said, there isn't enough room to put it onto one disc with everything else being included with it.

Jason

Eric F

Screenwriter
If it's going to be a DTS 96/24 disc it most definately need at least two discs.

That could be why.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
A two disc movie is preferred over a flipper for those that have 5 disc(or more) changers. that way we can still have artwork on the disc and do not have to read that small print on the inner ring of a flipper.

Also we don't have to get up to flip or change the disc.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
anyone got a link for the artwork being considered for this package (a larger version than is posted in this thread).

I want to show some buddies who dont know about this version and are pre-ordering the Theatrical version.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jason,

The DTS version of Dances with Wolves is FULL bit rate.. HUGE difference.

Yes, but little else. (Actually, checking on it it does have a commentary track, so three audio tracks: DD 2.0, DTS, and Commentary) It sounds like there will be a DD 5.1 and at least two commentaries and possibly a half-rate DTS track. Maybe a DD 2.0 track as well, or other languages. Also, DWW clocks in at about 3 hours. The extended cut will be a half hour longer than that. Personally, I'll take the extra disc.

BTW, "The Godfather, Part 2" is about the same length and is also split over two discs.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread